cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcoimp
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

NPrinting zip file ratio

I have troubles sending emails with zip attached for the zip dimension (NPrinting Feb 2019 release).

I see the zip file is not compressed, just used as a storing archive (the stored file has the same dimension of the zip): is there a way to compress files in zip? Some parameter, or some configuration file to edit for?

(Please don't tell me to use Newstand portal: this is not a valid option!)

Thank you.

M.Imperiale
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

The zip compression level is set internally and cannot be customized at the moment (June 2019).

Note that Office Open XML is a zipped, XML-based file format, so, if you are sending reports in those formats they are already compressed and compressing them again will cost in terms of generation time but give minimum benefit in terms of size.

Also PDF uses a compression for objects it contains.

So if you are sending too big emails you could:

- split the reports on more than one email 

- increase the maximum allowed delivery size of the SMTP server you are using

- deliver reports with a different method (On-Demand, NewsStand, Folders, Qlik Sense Hub)

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

I am not certain as to what your specific requirement is so I am going to provide you with the following link which outlines  possible file extensions currently available with NPrinting:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/DistributionSchedulesAutomation/Re...

If this does not help, please provide additional details as to what you are attempting to achieve.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Marcoimp
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Sorry for delay and for my english.

Your answer is not what I'm asking for.

In other words: zipped files are not compressed. The weight in KB of the zip file, is exactly the sum of weights in KB of the excel files it contains. For this reason I can't send zip file by eMail: because it's too big.

I just ask if there is a way to change the compress ratio of the zip files created by NPrinting.

Hope is clear.

Marco

M.Imperiale
Frank_S
Support
Support

No worries @Marcoimp and thank you for the clarification.

It is not possible to change the default compression ratio using NPrinting and NPrinting Publish Task report production. Even if this feature was possible it would be ineffective with reports that contain images since images in general do not compress significantly. Therefore this is a feature that would not likely be added since it would yield little value in terms of saving disk space or decreasing email/report delivery size.

If you are trying to send large files through your email server and your email server is denying the emails, the best solution is to make a request to your email administrator to increase file sizes limits for email delivered from NPrinting server to report recipients.

By the way, I did some testing outside of NPrinting of image compression using winrar and the 'best' (highest) compression method and found no measurable difference in the original and compressed file size.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Marcoimp
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thank you Frank,

just for be more clear. I don't send images, I don't send PDFs. I only send xls files (many xls files in one single zip).

The compress NPrinting ratio is equal to zero. Totally!

The evidence is that if I unzip files sent and then I zip again (manually), I get a zip file 1/100 littler than the original sent. So I think it is an issue or an error or something in configuration... what do you think about?

Thank you again.

Marco

M.Imperiale
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

The zip compression level is set internally and cannot be customized at the moment (June 2019).

Note that Office Open XML is a zipped, XML-based file format, so, if you are sending reports in those formats they are already compressed and compressing them again will cost in terms of generation time but give minimum benefit in terms of size.

Also PDF uses a compression for objects it contains.

So if you are sending too big emails you could:

- split the reports on more than one email 

- increase the maximum allowed delivery size of the SMTP server you are using

- deliver reports with a different method (On-Demand, NewsStand, Folders, Qlik Sense Hub)

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.