Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sa_Rah
Contributor III
Contributor III

Format issues when using levels - text box not big enough to display data

Hi

I've recently started using Qliksense Nprinting and have encountered the following issue when using levels and adding specific fields underneath the main fields in each record.

I don't have the same issue if I'm not using levels - the data cells there increase in size to ensure the text can wrap to fit. 

The following is the table in my Excel Template in NPrinting editor:

ID Date Date Reported Reported Impact Actual Impact Report Present Site Location Speciality Category
<NPAwaitingID_Level>                  
<ID> <Date> <DateReported> <ReportedlImpact> <ActualImpact> <ReportPresent> <Site> <Location> <Speciality> <Category>
Description
<Description>
Further Overview
<FurtherOverview>
</NPAwaitingID_Level>                

This produces the following snip in the Excel preview - all of the data appears in the right places, but the 'Description' and 'Further Overview' fields are not showing all of the data in the cells i.e. the cells aren't increasing in size to allow the data to fit. The text displaying is from the middle of the field. 

Sa_Rah_0-1701184115833.png

The table below shows what I would expect to see in the above entry:

ID

Date

Date Reported

Reported Impact

Actual Impact

Report Present

Site

Speciality

Category

01/01/2023

02/01/2023

HIGH

LOW

N

COL

Carpark

Estates

Incident

Description

When you analyze your data, you have different ways of making selections. The charts and tables have different selection patterns. Some selection types are particularly useful for certain visualizations. The following table displays which kinds of selections that are supported in the visualizations.

Further Overview

When you make a selection, all associated visualizations are updated immediately to reflect the selection. You confirm the selection by clicking  , or by clicking anywhere on the sheet outside the visualization, including in another visualization, (in which case you generate a new selection). You can also press Enter to confirm.

You cancel a selection by clicking Cancel. You can also press Esc to undo.

By default, new selections in a visualization are added to the previous ones. You deselect an item by clicking it. On a computer, you can hold down Ctrl while you make a selection, to automatically clear previous selections in a visualization, and only keep the new selection.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I see, 

What appears to be an issue is combination of "Merged excel cells" and "wrap text". You will notice that if you "unmerge" cells in excel it will wrap that text properly and adjust cell hight to the actual required level.

Now I dont know if this is by design or not but I assume we could apply workaround by creating potential column which would wrap a character X number of times. In my example I am assuming that I need 50 characters per line. Then I used expression in my data table to create wrapped text using CHR(10) character. It counts the lengt of the string in field I am using (Product NPrinting) and divides it by 50 and  applies celing to get me integer value 

Repeat('X'&CHR(10),Ceil(Len(Product_Nprinting)/50))

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1701262713610.png

I then use this field in narrow column (column J) which I can simply hide, but since it is not containing merged cell and it has characters on multiple lines it expands row height to required level - see GIF below:

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1701263689832.gif

For this to work you need to ensure that row height is set to height of the font in excel though (double click on row height).

@Ruggero_Piccoli - any ideas from you mate?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Have you tried nesting those 2 fields by adding them from table and setting the "wrap text option" for those fields?

It is hard to say how you have it setup at the moment as you are not showing full designer view. The way I would do it is by loading data into level and the same table into table. 

Level would be used to cycle through and other fields could come from table as they would show each value anyway. That way you can have Wrap text enabled directly on the table object and it should do exactly what you want.

With the info provided thats all I can suggest at the moment

cheers

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1701234475753.png

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Sa_Rah
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Lech

Apologies, current set up is per the screen shot below (excuse the name changes in certain fields). The text is set to wrap (for the table, I can't seem to see a similar option for the individual fields) , which it is doing I guess, the issue is it's only displaying a very small amount of the total text which is coming from the middle of the description rather than say the start, or end. 

The formatting in the template  'merge and centre'.

If I increase the height of say the <IncidentNotes> field then more text appears, but it means that the box is very large for records with only a short entry in this field

Sa_Rah_0-1701254724454.png

Hope this makes sense

Sarah

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I see, 

What appears to be an issue is combination of "Merged excel cells" and "wrap text". You will notice that if you "unmerge" cells in excel it will wrap that text properly and adjust cell hight to the actual required level.

Now I dont know if this is by design or not but I assume we could apply workaround by creating potential column which would wrap a character X number of times. In my example I am assuming that I need 50 characters per line. Then I used expression in my data table to create wrapped text using CHR(10) character. It counts the lengt of the string in field I am using (Product NPrinting) and divides it by 50 and  applies celing to get me integer value 

Repeat('X'&CHR(10),Ceil(Len(Product_Nprinting)/50))

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1701262713610.png

I then use this field in narrow column (column J) which I can simply hide, but since it is not containing merged cell and it has characters on multiple lines it expands row height to required level - see GIF below:

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1701263689832.gif

For this to work you need to ensure that row height is set to height of the font in excel though (double click on row height).

@Ruggero_Piccoli - any ideas from you mate?

Sa_Rah
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Lech! I'm off to try this out to see if it works - apologies for the automatic accepting of the solution, it apparently relates to my organisation's email settings.

Sa_Rah
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hey Lech

OK so I tried this but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked for me.

I've generated the Xs no problem but, unlike in your example above, it's not having the desired effect on the merged cell row. This has not changed in height, and is just showing a single X in the X field (if i unhide it).

I'm using Calibri 10 font, so made the row height = 10 by right clicking on the row and choosing the 'row height' option, and then setting this to 10.

Thanks

Sarah

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

you said you have set row height by typing actual row height size, but I erlier said this will not work - so no surprises there.

I suggested "double click" which i specifically said that has to be done or excel will not consider it as "auto size". You can then change the actual size of row by defining font size of the hidden X which will automatically grow or shrink.

Sidenote: I also would consider changing the formula from Ceil() to Floor() as we are getting 1 extra row each time: 

Repeat('X'&CHR(10),Floor(Len(Product_Nprinting)/50))

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1701296842783.gif

Sa_Rah
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Lech.

Apologies, i wasn't sure what you meant by 'double click on row height', but it is clear from your above explanation. As it turns out, this hasn't made a difference for me, both height of the font and 'double clicking' appear to give the same output. 

However I have been playing around with this more today, and i've got your method to work so long as I include some other text above the formulae in column J. If I don't include this text, the cells created are still one X in height. 

No idea why this is the case, but I'm happy that this works, and thank you for your excellent suggestion.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Sa_Rah 

I am glad I could help - with NPrinting there is always way of work-arounding things. 

It may be "flaky" solution and it is often difficult to explain them but as long as they work,. they do the job 🙂 

good luck!