cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekAJones
Contributor II
Contributor II

Migrating Nprint 16 reports, unable to assign my own App/Connection

Hi, I'm finally migrating my legacy nPrinting 16 reports over to May 2022. Using the Migration tool I have come across an issue that I've not found a solution to.

Each project I migrate creates it's own app and connection, however I have multiple projects that actually use the same qvw, just in old nprint we had them split under different nsq's. My issue is that I am unable to change the app+connection after import so I am left with multuple apps and connections for the exact same qvw, meaning it's caching the same qvw multiple times in the new environment.

I've even tried exporting and creating new to import and assign to the single app but it then says connection not valid as the import/export retains the migrated connection.

What are my options here, am I stuck with multple apps/connections for same qvw if i use the migration tool?

My thanks in advance for any help

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

You can create many connections to the same QVW and I agree with you that, instead, minimizing the number of connections by avoiding duplicates is a good optimization practice. In that way you reduce the size of the Repository by avoiding "duplicate" rows in the table that contains the connection caches. 

Every time you use the migration tool also if you import an already imported QlikView NPrinting 16 project (an .nsq file) all entities will be re-created as new. 

What you could try is to import the second project, manually export every report template from Qlik NPrinting May 2022 and import it by selecting the first app. If in the first app there already is a connection, with a cache correctly generated, to the same QVW used in the imported template you should see it in the dropdown menu. Select the connection and finish the import. All objects in the imported report will point to the first connection.

If you do not see the connection while importing the template be sure that it has the cache generated and all objects used by the imported template.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

DerekAJones
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Lech

I have tried the re-import by exporting and importing the report. It asks me what App to assign so I'm able to select my 'generic' app, however when i proceed the connection fails with message attached. It looks like in the export, the export retains details of the connection behind the app and that connection is named differently (has a date stamp etc).  I've even changed the connection name to match the other, but it must be using an id as it's still not allowing me to import to the other app.

Any guidance on what I'm doing wrong would be appeciated

Thanks

Derek

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @DerekAJones 

The message indicates that objects used in the report are not present in the connection you are trying to connect to. That can be missing field, some old legacy references to objects which no longer exists in the app. NPrinting 16 did not validate such errors but current versions are having more "checks" and differences in data models will cause it. 

I suggest you edit such report, check "Validate entities" in NPrinting designer, remove all unused and not necessary objects and try generating preview. If it all works only then try to export/import report again. 

thanks

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

7 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

1. There is nothing wrong in having multiple connections to the same document, sometimes it is actually required especially when you need to manage multiple user filters when connecting to the same connection
  2. If you want to have all in one app and connection you can follow steps to import the project to new app and then export report and import it back to the app and connection you want to use/share in the end. One remark is that Publish Tasks would have to be recreated manually.
    1. Principles would be the same as described here: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/Import-expo...

Thats it

cheers  

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

You can create many connections to the same QVW and I agree with you that, instead, minimizing the number of connections by avoiding duplicates is a good optimization practice. In that way you reduce the size of the Repository by avoiding "duplicate" rows in the table that contains the connection caches. 

Every time you use the migration tool also if you import an already imported QlikView NPrinting 16 project (an .nsq file) all entities will be re-created as new. 

What you could try is to import the second project, manually export every report template from Qlik NPrinting May 2022 and import it by selecting the first app. If in the first app there already is a connection, with a cache correctly generated, to the same QVW used in the imported template you should see it in the dropdown menu. Select the connection and finish the import. All objects in the imported report will point to the first connection.

If you do not see the connection while importing the template be sure that it has the cache generated and all objects used by the imported template.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
DerekAJones
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Lech

I have tried the re-import by exporting and importing the report. It asks me what App to assign so I'm able to select my 'generic' app, however when i proceed the connection fails with message attached. It looks like in the export, the export retains details of the connection behind the app and that connection is named differently (has a date stamp etc).  I've even changed the connection name to match the other, but it must be using an id as it's still not allowing me to import to the other app.

Any guidance on what I'm doing wrong would be appeciated

Thanks

Derek

DerekAJones
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Ruggero

I have tried export/import with no success results I have shared on Lech's comments if you can view there?

DerekAJones
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Quick update for all...

So I tried a seperate app, importing project, exporting report and then re-importing and it allowed me to select the connection on inmport, so that error is osolated to this project. There is something in the report preventing the connection being changed.  Have you come across anything taht would block the connection change?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @DerekAJones 

The message indicates that objects used in the report are not present in the connection you are trying to connect to. That can be missing field, some old legacy references to objects which no longer exists in the app. NPrinting 16 did not validate such errors but current versions are having more "checks" and differences in data models will cause it. 

I suggest you edit such report, check "Validate entities" in NPrinting designer, remove all unused and not necessary objects and try generating preview. If it all works only then try to export/import report again. 

thanks

Lech

DerekAJones
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Lech

That was exactly it. A single filter value was missing in the app i.e the field still existed but the value didn't, which is odd, you'd think it would accept a value that didn't exist, just if the field was missing that would cause an issue. But anyhow, chaging the filter value and importing project again then exporting worked. Unlucky for me my first app I tried had this issue, subsequent apps went through OK.

Thanks for your help