Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yair_M
Contributor II
Contributor II

Nprinting Import from excel - 2 fields in 1 filter

Hi,

When creating filter in NP we can add more than 1 field to the filter. the fields can be from different connection.

Can it be done in excel?

I'm importing users & filters from excel and want to have 1 line per user, filters from 2 different connections.

Yair_M_0-1685441215745.png

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Yair_M 

In my opinion this is not possible as import filters template currently supports only single connection filters I assume. Lets see if @Ruggero_Piccoli  confirms that. 

In that case the only way of loading filters from multiple connections somehow automatically would be by using API - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/APIs/NP+API/index.html?page=29

You can write Qlik script which can execute that for you. It will be similar to the one I created some time ago: https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/04/08/nprinting-api-qlik-rest-subroutines/. In my scripts I have not created procedure for filters load so you may need to create one by yourself.  API reference link contains all required info though. 

Cheers.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @Yair_M 

Unfortunately your requirement can be interpreted in many, many ways.

Please clarify your requirement sharing the expect results that you want to see. 
Do a mock up of the report output along with any helpful images, your written detailed expectations and descriptions therein that will help us to better understand what 'you' wish to see. 

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

To answer to your question I wrote this article https://community.qlik.com/t5/Member-Articles/Import-a-Filter-based-on-More-than-One-Field-in-Qlik-N...

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Ruggero_Piccoli,

question was slightly different - Is it possible to create filter with 2 different fields which come from different connections.

Assume you are doing Sales Rep report from 2 Qlik Sense apps:

1. One app has all sales rep sales
  2. Another app has all sales rep activities

Now typically you would create 1 NPrinting app with 2 connections (1 connection to each Qlik Sense app). 

So how do we create filter for a user using import task where we have to create filter for field from connection to Sales rep sales app and second filter based on sales rep activities Qlik sense app..

Based on my testing this is not possible as import filters process does not cater for multi-connection filters.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Yair_M 

In my opinion this is not possible as import filters template currently supports only single connection filters I assume. Lets see if @Ruggero_Piccoli  confirms that. 

In that case the only way of loading filters from multiple connections somehow automatically would be by using API - https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/APIs/NP+API/index.html?page=29

You can write Qlik script which can execute that for you. It will be similar to the one I created some time ago: https://nprintingadventures.com/2019/04/08/nprinting-api-qlik-rest-subroutines/. In my scripts I have not created procedure for filters load so you may need to create one by yourself.  API reference link contains all required info though. 

Cheers.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Sorry, my mistake! I missed fields come from different connections...

It is possible to import filters based on different fields from the same connection.

It is NOT possible to import filters based on different fields from the same connection.

The syntax [ConnectionName].[FieldName] was supported by QlikView NPrinting 16 but not in 17+ and it will use the connection specified in the related column. This need to be kept in care in case of a migration project. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Yair_M
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you all for your support!

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Somehow to add to that topic-why would you need both connections under single filter?

there would be no difference to load them as separate filters (one for each connection). 
if those need to be user filters then you can just list them as comma separated values on user sheet in recipient import xlsx file

Yair_M
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi,

I want to have 1 filter per user with all the filters it needs.

Each user has something like 4 filters from different connections.  (I have ~100 user)  

I decided to build it manually and not by automated excel, that will create hundreds of filters in my system. filters that I will need to handle..

Thanks,
Yair

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Ok understand - that is your choice to do it the way you prefer it. There is nothing wrong with that approach and I agree that at glance it is cleaner solution too.

My point was that by creating separate filters for different connections you dont need to do it manually and have whole process automated. You can actually build an app in Qlik which can then output for you your recipients and their filters, groups, roles etc.. which in turn can be exported using NPrinting to create a recipient import file. 

Thats the way I do it. I have Qlik Sense app with all my NPrinting users and their filters, groups, roles. I then export this data using NPrinting to create recipient import template which in last step I import to NPrinting to manage my filters, users and users attributes.

That way I have fully automated process and Qlik app which I use to control everything...

Managing this manually will be hard indeed, but at the end you can try and see which is better for you (automated or manual process).

cheers