cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NLD09
Contributor II
Contributor II

What is the difference between Qlik NPrinting and Application Automation

I am new to NPrinting and it seems to be pretty cool but I am running into a limitation of it.  For example,  I am looking for a way to email report with attachment to specific recipient with his/her data only and  I don't want to create each task for each recipient because I have like 150+ recipient.  I don't see a way of doing it (Looping) in NPrinting. 

I see a Qlik Application Automation video on YT and it can send out email with dashboard (attachment) and looping through email addresses etc. to send out filter data for specific recipient.  This is exactly what I am looking for.

It seems these two products are overlapping.  

Can you someone please explain what is the different between these two products?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @NLD09 

If you are new to NPrinting it will be hard to explain all available scenarios in single post. NPrinting and Application automation are 2 completely different tools:

• NPrinting works only With Qlik Sense on premise
  • Application automation works in SaaS

So the above is quite significant difference.

Then regarding your question (sending reports to individual users with data filtered to them). This is obviously possible. For this you will need to use recipient filters: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Import-Users-Fi...

Typical process looks like below:

• import users using template
    • during that process create and assign users filters
    • during this process assign users to group
  • assign group as task recipient
  • publish task
    • create publish task
    • add group as report recipients
    • task will validate which users belong to the group used in the task
    • for every user in the group report will be created separately by using user filters

This topic was discussed on community many times:

for example here: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/NPrining-Nov-19-User-Filter-and-Email/td-p/...

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @NLD09 

If you are new to NPrinting it will be hard to explain all available scenarios in single post. NPrinting and Application automation are 2 completely different tools:

• NPrinting works only With Qlik Sense on premise
  • Application automation works in SaaS

So the above is quite significant difference.

Then regarding your question (sending reports to individual users with data filtered to them). This is obviously possible. For this you will need to use recipient filters: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Import-Users-Fi...

Typical process looks like below:

• import users using template
    • during that process create and assign users filters
    • during this process assign users to group
  • assign group as task recipient
  • publish task
    • create publish task
    • add group as report recipients
    • task will validate which users belong to the group used in the task
    • for every user in the group report will be created separately by using user filters

This topic was discussed on community many times:

for example here: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/NPrining-Nov-19-User-Filter-and-Email/td-p/...

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

On top of that regarding NPrinting and Application automation:

• completely different products
  • we shouldn't even compare them

you say:

I see a Qlik Application Automation video on YT and it can send out email with dashboard (attachment) and looping through email addresses etc. to send out filter data for specific recipient.  This is exactly what I am looking for

Yes - application automation can do this - but keep in mind that this is very limited solution. If you go into details you will see that the sent report is only 1 sheet report, sent only as an image/pdf and it will only work in SaaS

Then NPrinting - It can do exactly the same and a lot more than that but its source will need to be Qlik Sense Enterprise on premise!!!

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Please start each new conversation with the right version label. If you are using 17.3 stop right now and plan an upgrade to latest available version (May 2021 SR3 at the moment) because 17.3 is very old and no more supported.

Second I strongly suggest you to invest time in reading the Qlik NPrinting official help site https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/Introduction/Introduction.htm and not to lost time in developing solutions by yourself. Sending reports via email is the reason why Qlik NPrinting was developed  and it is well documented how to implement it. So it is faster for you to read the documentation and learn the right way that test by yourself and posting basic questions here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
NLD09
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you very much @Lech_Miszkiewicz  for the very informative info.  I appreciated your time answered my question.  I am going to check out the link you provided.

NLD09
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you @Ruggero_Piccoli .  Sorry it was the NPrinting May 2021 SR3 version not 17.3.  I will check out the Qlik NPrinting document.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Also, keep in mind NPrinting is a 'full service' reporting solution whereas  QAA handles 'application automation'.   Application automation involves doing automated operations on Qlik Cloud 'apps' through API endpoints to do various actions like reloading apps, duplicating apps,  and exporting data from apps.  Its the 'exporting'  that QAA can lock onto to produce PDF documents based on Qlik Sense sheets and Qlik Sense app objects making it meaningful for customers who need to produce PDFs (with more planned).   Reporting in Qlik Cloud Services relies on QAA,  backend export APIs, and  Qlik Apps/Sheets/Objects.   I'm not sure I would position either solution to a customer interested exclusively in document based reporting,  but if the customer adopts Qlik Sense (Cloud or Client Managed) and their data is loaded into Qlik apps,  then its a logical value add to reuse the data and the security around it to produce reports for an additional primarily passive audience.