Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gestion-PSD
Creator II
Creator II

Table of contents doesn't update in word reports

Hi all!

We're facing a problems (maybe an issue) generating Word reports on NPrinting (Version Feb '18 and also in version Nov '18).

When a Word report is generated, its Table of Contents doesn't update anymore and it isn't showed. In its place, the report shows a sad "No table of contents entries found".

The "entries" are in the report, actually. Just an "update field" to recover the Table.

But if the report are published as a PDF document, this "update field" is not allowed.

Is there any way to force NPrinting report generation to "update fields" in a Word template in orden to publish Word/PDF reports with the Table of Contents already filled?

Thanks,

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi, 

I did a test in my installation (June 2019) and I'm not able to reproduce. My Word report with Table of Content is correctly created in preview and by a publish task in .doc, .docx and pdf format. 

You could update your installation to latest version and test again.

If after upgrading, you are still having the issue please post some screenshots and all other details in order to let us to reproduce the issue. If you cannot share those details here, open a support ticket and include them.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.

View solution in original post

Gestion-PSD
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi everybody!

We think we finally found the source of the problem. And it is extremely possible that the problem remains in Word instead of NPrinting.

We'd done a sort of tests and we found that problems with ToC appear in .docx documents based on a .dotx template. On the other hand, .docx documents based on  "standard" .dotm template worked fine and theirs ToCs were created without errors.

We must make more tests in order to definitely affirm that this issue is caused by .dotx templates, but it is the conclusion we'd reach.

I hope this tread will help somebody with same problem in the future.

Thanks all for your devotion.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @Gestion-PSD 

Unfortunately NPrinting is unable to perform that function.

However, I found this 3rd partly link that may offer suggestion regarding a potential solution that may allow dynamic TOC update.

Automatic Table of Contents

https://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=283073&p=1886010

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Gestion-PSD
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank for the reply, @Frank_S ,but I think I didn't explain so well, maybe.

Our Word template has already created a ToC that shows its content correctly if you open the template (a .docx document) in NPrinting Designer or in MS Word. Even the Designer preview shows the ToC as it should be.

The problem is only in the NPrinting report generation and NP Designer preview. The document produced by NPrinting both in publishing taks or preview doesn't show the ToC.

Maybe, the way to solve this issue (while NPrinting doesn't work well with ToC and other Word fields) is to use a macro to update fields in the Word document opening and/or closing. We don't know if this macros would work with NPrinting. Besides that, we want not to use macros because they're a known security risk.

Regards

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi, 

I did a test in my installation (June 2019) and I'm not able to reproduce. My Word report with Table of Content is correctly created in preview and by a publish task in .doc, .docx and pdf format. 

You could update your installation to latest version and test again.

If after upgrading, you are still having the issue please post some screenshots and all other details in order to let us to reproduce the issue. If you cannot share those details here, open a support ticket and include them.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Gestion-PSD
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi everybody!

We think we finally found the source of the problem. And it is extremely possible that the problem remains in Word instead of NPrinting.

We'd done a sort of tests and we found that problems with ToC appear in .docx documents based on a .dotx template. On the other hand, .docx documents based on  "standard" .dotm template worked fine and theirs ToCs were created without errors.

We must make more tests in order to definitely affirm that this issue is caused by .dotx templates, but it is the conclusion we'd reach.

I hope this tread will help somebody with same problem in the future.

Thanks all for your devotion.