Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW

QAP (Qlik Analytics Platform)

100% helpful (1/1)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rohitk1609
Master
Master

QAP (Qlik Analytics Platform)

Last Update:

Feb 14, 2024 3:28:20 AM

Updated By:

Maria_Halley

Created date:

Apr 25, 2017 5:08:31 AM

Attachments

Hi All,

As we all know Qlik Analytical Platform is quite new in market. People are still in confusion as what QAP is, how it is different than Qlik Sense Enterprise. How to configure QAP Server, Manage QAP and especially what exactly the output of QAP. There are lots of tickets which give you chunk of information like difference between QAP and Qlik Sense Enterprise, how to reload on QAP server when there is no HUB under QAP but there is nowhere how to configure a QAP solution from scratch to end with details.

This document guide you to know what QAP is , how it is different than QSE, setup QAP Server, create and publish Mashup(Embed Analytics ) a, manage QAP Objects and reload application on QAP when there is no HUB at all.

Question: Why Qlik Sense client needs QAP ?

Answer:

1. QAP is for external users simply which doesn't need self service or QSE capabilities.
  2. DMZ network where external users are not allowed to access application from internal network.
  3. Client doesn't want to buy hundreds of Qlik Sense tokens for such users which don't need deep analysis.
  4. No certain details of Qlik Sense end users like users count, user details(anonymous).
  5. Embed Qlik Sense objects in client’s web portal like any news paper, public portal etc.

QAP setup needs knowledge of Qlik Sense Enterprise (server configuration with security rules) and web developer  skills (css and java script and basic HTML) who will help you to embed Qlik Object to web portal.

I have attached one QAP product presentation, you may start with it then below tutorial video so you have enough functional knowledge of product. 

Important  video tutorial of QAP:

QAP.PNG

Let’s start from beginning:

Difference b/w Qlik Sense Enterprise and Qlik Analytical Platform:

In principle QAP and QSE is same but in general QAP is subset of QSE means QSE without HUB(No Self Service). QAP is a solution of embed analytics. If no self service is there in QAP it means no "create things" but still developers can create visuals by APIs.

Https://HostName/hub you can view the application but when you open it, it will give you an error you don't have access pass, it means you can't view any apps object on hub.

QAP enables you to display sheet or charts into your website.

Commercial difference, QAP has core based license model unlike QSE which has token based license model (It means no user and login passes, which means you just need to grant the access to users or authorized users to the content which is embedded in web portal )

Recently Qlik introduced core bases license for self service too.

QAP is intended for using our APIs (Extensions, Mashups etc.) to deploy custom solutions.

The Qlik Sense client is disabled in QAP (when you will login to hub you would view the streams and apps but when you will click on any app, it will give you error of access passes).

It has same installation package as QES but applying a QAP license key will disable hub it means you can view the hub, streams list, and application icons but apps objects like sheet, charts, measures and dimensions will not open on HUB. It will give you an error, you hve no access passes.

QAP license policy: when a client buys a QAP token, it comes with minimum 4 cores, it means no matter how many cores or virtual processors are available on deployment server, it will only consume or utilize 4 core among all available cores. So, let’s say client's server has 8 cores or 16 logical processors on Qlik Sense Enterprise server and your application size is 1 GB and you are planning to use same application on QAP, So when you import this application to QAP, It will not work as it works on QSE sever cause QAP(as per the license capacity) will consume only 4 cores out 8 cores and your 1 GB application need 8 cores to perform or load objects like QSE.

Note: Do not be confused, what will happen when you will activate the Qlik Server with QAP license, you will get everything same i.e. QMC as Qlik Sense Enterprise but there will be no Tokens means you can't create any user or login pass which we use to authorize users to access the Qlik Sense content.

To implement QAP server, configured it security with custom properties so you would manage security of data for users with

https://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-18066

These 9 points will create a stream, import the application and publish the application to the newly created stream and grant access to application and app objects.

Try to use Dev-Hub to view the object i.e single configurator.

Now, we will add one more new security rule which will grant all the users to access the APIs like extensions, mashups, Widget, Single configurator.

***You may create one new custom property QAPExtension with resource type Extension and User and the create a new security rule with Extension Template and write a security rule as:

((User.@QAPExtension=resource.@QAPExtension))

Then go to the extension by Click one start => Extensions => select your extension(Mashup) => go to custom properties and click on the Space bar and select the value you have given while creating Custom properties do the same exercise for users too .

Now, we don’t need to create any custom property because QAP is for all users (no limit) above activity started with *** is when you created a mashup and then you need to provide access of some particular Extension(Mashup) to any specific users.

So, for QAP, write a simple security rule as with template Extension:

((user.name="*" or resource.name="*"))

Which means all user will access the all the APIs (extensions, mashups, Widget, Single configurator).

Often, People ask what if my client hasn't any web portal so in that case above Mashup solution will work, Mashup is kind of website(.html file) or web solution.

This is best with Qlik comes Sense as we can create a HTML page with our Qlik Objects so easily(Basic HTML and JS  and CSS knowledge requires).

Now point comes, if all user will come how to secure the data, here comes the real QAP solution,

Generally what QAP says, create an application on Qlik Enterprise or Desktop, import on the QAP server and publish its Objects to client website (Mashup is a HTML page but it’s not a web portal).

So above, you have imported an application, created stream, published application, granted access to all users. What is left now, go to single configurator, select one object, there will be two links come on top side, Iframe and URL, Copy anyone and go to the website page where you need to show these objects and paste it(Please take the help of web developer because every object needs a proper space and alignment).

If any user who is not authorized to view Qlik objects but has rights to login web portal where Qlik Sense objects embedded then it will show an error, so you may ask your web designer to handle this case and put any image instead of INVALID OBJECT message from Qlik Sense.

Now when any user will come it will see an error, access denied or ask for credentials , so You may configure the single sign on here ,Please refer the very useful document for single sign on :

https://community.qlik.com/community/qlik-sense/support/blog/2016/05/11/qlik-sense-ticket-based-auth...

Last Point, how to manage the QAP server application. I mean, reload and all. So, You can’t open any application on QAP HUB and there will be no script editor so how to reload if you have imported the application from Qlik sense enterprise:

If you have imported the apps from another Qlik Sense Server the required data connections are unfortunately not imported together with the qvf-file. That is probably why the tasks fail since the data connections are missing. Check in QMC > Data Connections if they are there and if they are properly set up.

Please refer this article to reload data in QAP: https://qliksupport.force.com/articles/000025412

” When you import an app developed on Qlik Sense Desktop, existing data connections are imported to the QMC. When you export an app from a server, existing data connections are not exported with the app.”

Since the QAP is a Qlik Sense-server without the "hub" and aimed for integration purposes only you have to find a way to import the data connections into the QAP QMC for reloads to work. One way could be to create an empty app in Qlik Sense Desktop with the required data connections and then import this qvf into the QAP. Then you can manage and set up the imported data connections properly in the QAP QMC.

Reach to me for further assistance, Please drop an email to kumar.rohit1609@gmail.com

Add me on Linked In : https://in.linkedin.com/pub/rohit-kumar/2b/a15/67b

Add yourself on Qlik intellectuals page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/QlikIntellectuals

Please like this page or add as bookmark and add your ratings so my I will know how effective my solution is for Qlik Users.

You may add your queries below so I would come up with solution. I will try to keep update this document with more powerful inputs. Your queries and inputs will help me to improve the quality of this solution. The aim is to make a perfect document which will guide you to a perfect solution.

Labels (1)
Comments
Not applicable

Thank you!

Is QAP supported on Azure? I would guess they should fit together very well.

Stig

0 Likes
rohitk1609
Master
Master

Hi Stig,

I believe Azure is cloud solution provided by Microsoft and Qlik is a window based tool, so if you can install Qlik there , so yes you can configure your QAP server on AZURE, but the end product will be Mashup or you will take objects from there and embed it to web portal. Web portal can be of , .net based, JS, HTML etc.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

santoshknc
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Rohit,

Thank you very much, thats very useful info.

I got one doubt while going through, wanted to know if the QMC will be same for QS Enterprise and QAP or will it be different ? Like UI Phase etc.

Thanks & Regards,

Santosh Kumar.

0 Likes
rohitk1609
Master
Master

It will be same as mentioned in document , Same UI

0 Likes
m_cabrera
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi!.

You said "So above, you have imported an application, created stream, published application, granted access to all users. What is left now, go to single configurator, select one object, there will be two links come on top side, Iframe and URL, Copy anyone and go to the website page where you need to show these objects and paste it(Please take the help of web developer because every object needs a proper space and alignment)."

But I can't open the single configuration without access pass.  What am I missing?

Thanks

0 Likes
rohitk1609
Master
Master

Yes, Martha, You need login or Access pass to access the Hub.

0 Likes
bisimcsg
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Rohit,

Qlik Sense Enterprise and QAP are the samething even use the same program instalation. So the difference is made by the license you applied in.

Question:

Can you use one Qlik Sense Enterprise License install on as a single node and add one QAP to make a cluster to solve the problem for reloads and APP and avoid to export the APP when you install separatedly?

Regards,

0 Likes
rohitk1609
Master
Master

Of course, it is exactly the same software as Qlik Sense Enterpriseyou need to have a sufficient license for your deployment size.

Please mark my comment helpful if I answered your query correctly.

0 Likes
bisimcsg
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Do you know or have any experience on it or do you know any implementation?

I mean any succes history.

Regards.

0 Likes
rohitk1609
Master
Master

Yes, I did it. but clustering in QAP I never tried but I am quite sure it will be possible. Point is QAP and Qlik Sense Enterprise has same software so why you are getting confused what QAP do and Qlik Can't ?

0 Likes
Version history
Last update:
‎2024-02-14 03:28 AM
Updated by: