cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III

Another IE Plugin Question /Chromium

We have always used the IE Plugin regardless of the issues we have faced with it. For reporting to look as intended in Access Point, you need to use IE and the plugin, otherwise formatting looks off, cyclics and boxes done look or function right...

With IE going away, we can use Chromium with IE compatibility mode as a work around. But, is there any other way for our Qlikview reporting to look exactly as it is designed in desktop when users view it in Access Point? 

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vinay_Kapoor
Employee
Employee

Hey Folks,

I manage the QlikView and NPrinting products and just wanted to let you know that QV AJAX and IE Plugin clients are receiving appropriate investments to (amongst other things) help our customers continue to use Edge/Chromium. We are working on adding support for Edge/Chromium to both the AJAX client and IE Plugin.

In April 2020, we will release QlikView April 2020 (version 12.50) which will include AJAX client support for Edge/Chromium. All our customers will be able to use Edge/Chromium to render documents using AJAX client. However, due to the amount of effort required on the IE Plugin,  this client will miss the boat for the April release.

We expect some more work here and will include this update (IE Plugin support for Edge/Chromium) in the next major release of QlikView. I cannot comment on the timing of that right now.

In addition to this work, the April release will allow you to:

1/ Use IE Plugin with QlikView in cloud, which was release in Nov 2019 (https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/QlikViewInCloud/using-QV...)

2/ Publish and distribute documents from QlikView on prem to QlikView in cloud, which will allow you to move your QlikView users to cloud and reduce TCO of your QlikView deployments. Basically you can keep reloads and development on prem but move viewer nodes to cloud to elastically scale your viewer nodes

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator

We're also interested in the future of the IE Plugin as our organization has announced the plan to standardize on the new "Microsoft Edge Browser based on Chromium" and we have yet to convert our content over to Ajax.  I stumbled upon this post while searching for answers to similar questions.  Thanks!

Vegar
MVP
MVP

Without the IE plugin you wont get it to look exactly like in the standard desktop mode in a browser, you will get the ajax layout. You can however control the ajax rendering in the desktop client using the web view. 

If it is crucial that you do have the exact QV layout for the end user there is an option to let the user work in the desktop client connecting to the server using Open in Server. It will requires you/IT to distribute the desktop client to all end users, but the layout will look just as designed by the QV designer. 

Vinay_Kapoor
Employee
Employee

Hey Folks,

I manage the QlikView and NPrinting products and just wanted to let you know that QV AJAX and IE Plugin clients are receiving appropriate investments to (amongst other things) help our customers continue to use Edge/Chromium. We are working on adding support for Edge/Chromium to both the AJAX client and IE Plugin.

In April 2020, we will release QlikView April 2020 (version 12.50) which will include AJAX client support for Edge/Chromium. All our customers will be able to use Edge/Chromium to render documents using AJAX client. However, due to the amount of effort required on the IE Plugin,  this client will miss the boat for the April release.

We expect some more work here and will include this update (IE Plugin support for Edge/Chromium) in the next major release of QlikView. I cannot comment on the timing of that right now.

In addition to this work, the April release will allow you to:

1/ Use IE Plugin with QlikView in cloud, which was release in Nov 2019 (https://help.qlik.com/en-US/cloud-services/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/QlikViewInCloud/using-QV...)

2/ Publish and distribute documents from QlikView on prem to QlikView in cloud, which will allow you to move your QlikView users to cloud and reduce TCO of your QlikView deployments. Basically you can keep reloads and development on prem but move viewer nodes to cloud to elastically scale your viewer nodes

Hope this helps!

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

As a followup to this original question. We have gotten IE compatibility mode working for Chromium for everyone and the plugin is displaying fine. All for one person that is. They are telling us they it never worked in IE for them and now that we have them on Chromium it isn't working in the IE compatibility mode, but they are set up like everyone else in Chromium where it is working fine. 

we have tried reinstalling the plugin, we have tried reinstalling Edge... nothing works

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Just wondering what was going on with the IE plugin support. I don't see anything in the notes for the August SR that supports IE mode in Chromium for the plugin. Lately now that everyone is working from home, we are having random freeze ups when people try clicking around in a report in Chromium.... after awhile it will fix itself, but it only happens in Edge... 

Ajax is basically just NOT using the plugin right? Like it defaults to that Ajax view I guess it is called? I'm seriously considering finally doing away with the plugin and going through all the work of modifying the reports for viewing in Ajax. 

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator

I'm about to go into production with QV IE Plugin on Edge with Cromium in IE Mode.  How wide spread is this problem?  Anybody else see this? 

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

It doesn't look like we are going to get a response, I may open a case to ask and see what they say.  There was supposed to be some sort of patch or work on the compatibility that was going to make it in before the end of summer, but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

qvd1rkqv
Creator
Creator

Please share what you learn and I'll do the same.  Thanks!

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

This is what my ticket response ended up being...

response.PNG