Announcements
Qlik Announces Qlik Talend Cloud and Qlik Answers: LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

File manipulation/system access

I am looking for the best way to organize files (like QVD) during script reloads with the server/publisher, i.e. tasks like

• finding the oldest/youngest or a specific file in a folder,
  • deleting/moving a file.

First I tried VBS code from inside the reloading QVW (just create an instance of Scripting.FileSystemObject and you can do all kinds of stuff). That did work when using the QlikView standalone client, but not when using the server/publisher. I am rather confused on this issue, but I believe the server/publisher imposes much stricter rules on VBS code than the client, therefore no system access.

Could someone please explain to me the basic rules of VBS macro handling during server/publisher reloads (or point me to some documentation)? And what is the point of the options in the server config, "allow macro execution"/"allow unsafe macro execution"?

What are Your best practices regarding the things I want to do? I can at least think of

• placing the VBS code outside of the QVW and calling the script (file) from the load script during reload (would that even work?),
  • using some external application (managed file transfer software e.g.).

Thanks for Your help!

Jens

2 Replies
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hello,

Regarding Macros and VBScript inside the QVW Script, Publisher Ignores those calls. At least, according to this post: http://community.qlik.com/forums/p/29431/124145.aspx#124145.

What I would recommend is trigger the reload task via command line (more info on the Reference Manual) or, as you suggest, using the VBS code outside the QVW.

Regards,

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

NOT TESTED, but someone just told me that you can allow macro execution and unsafe macro execution on server via QMC.

Maybe that will help you also.

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer