Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elden25
Contributor
Contributor

How to teach myself about QlikView?

I'm freelancing a little until the end of my education. I found a company that would hire me for a few days per month. Here is what will expect me:

They have a few different systems. All backed by some kind of RDMS. And there is a QlikView installation. Nothing more. QlikView is not configured to do anything, it's just installed on a dedicated server.

Tney need a few reports, by aggregating data from different sources. They also want something like a daily export of the data.

I have no QlikView experience, but would like to tackle the job. Are there any resources online to educate myself?

Labels (1)
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

If you have Qlik Sense experience then you can benefit from that. QlikView and Qlik Sense script syntax and behaviour are for the most identical. The biggest tiny difference between the two is how to reference to the data sources.

Expressions in measures works identical as well. The grey, white and green as do many of the main concepts.

There are a lot written on QlikView on the Internet. The stuff you find it is for the most some years old, but still valid  as QlikView  is a quite stable product that has not changed much over the last years.

If you are looking for a place to start learning about QlikView then I would also recommend  Qlik's help pages. I use them. Try starting off at this getting started with QlikView page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2022/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/getting-started.h...

View solution in original post

deepanshuSh
Creator III
Creator III

First of all congratulations on landing your first Gig, it will surely help in boosting your future career. First of all, you should learn about the basics of using QlikView if you already haven't which can be done using youtube(Manishkumar, and Abhishek Aggarwal are some good youtube channels) and qlikhelp. After that, you can aggregate the data in the front end or back end using concepts like concatenation, and joins (understand Joins and concatenate through same tutorials) to get the new tables having combined data of initial tables. 

For exporting there are two things that you can learn and use; Nprinting (Seperate application quite easy to use) and macros (Inbuilt in QlikView) for sending out reports in from of mails. If only export is needed can be done directly through download data option. 

For configuration you don't need much, if using personal edition but if using it for enterprise edition you need to configure the licensing. 

Trial and error is the key to get unexpected results.

Albert_Candelario

Hello @elden25 ,

Thanks for posting.

Yes, there are several online resources to learn QlikView:

1. QlikView's official website (qlikview.com) offers tutorials, documentation, and a learning center.
  2. Online courses on platforms like Udemy, Coursera, LinkedIn Learning, and Pluralsight.
  3. YouTube tutorials and videos by QlikView experts.
  4. QlikView Community (community.qlik.com), a forum where users can ask questions and learn from other QlikView experts.
  5. Books and e-books on QlikView, available on websites like Amazon.

As mentioned QlikView is not the newest product of Qlik, why QlikView and not moving directly into Qlik Cloud?

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer

3 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

If you have Qlik Sense experience then you can benefit from that. QlikView and Qlik Sense script syntax and behaviour are for the most identical. The biggest tiny difference between the two is how to reference to the data sources.

Expressions in measures works identical as well. The grey, white and green as do many of the main concepts.

There are a lot written on QlikView on the Internet. The stuff you find it is for the most some years old, but still valid  as QlikView  is a quite stable product that has not changed much over the last years.

If you are looking for a place to start learning about QlikView then I would also recommend  Qlik's help pages. I use them. Try starting off at this getting started with QlikView page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2022/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/getting-started.h...

deepanshuSh
Creator III
Creator III

First of all congratulations on landing your first Gig, it will surely help in boosting your future career. First of all, you should learn about the basics of using QlikView if you already haven't which can be done using youtube(Manishkumar, and Abhishek Aggarwal are some good youtube channels) and qlikhelp. After that, you can aggregate the data in the front end or back end using concepts like concatenation, and joins (understand Joins and concatenate through same tutorials) to get the new tables having combined data of initial tables. 

For exporting there are two things that you can learn and use; Nprinting (Seperate application quite easy to use) and macros (Inbuilt in QlikView) for sending out reports in from of mails. If only export is needed can be done directly through download data option. 

For configuration you don't need much, if using personal edition but if using it for enterprise edition you need to configure the licensing. 

Trial and error is the key to get unexpected results.
Albert_Candelario

Hello @elden25 ,

Thanks for posting.

Yes, there are several online resources to learn QlikView:

1. QlikView's official website (qlikview.com) offers tutorials, documentation, and a learning center.
  2. Online courses on platforms like Udemy, Coursera, LinkedIn Learning, and Pluralsight.
  3. YouTube tutorials and videos by QlikView experts.
  4. QlikView Community (community.qlik.com), a forum where users can ask questions and learn from other QlikView experts.
  5. Books and e-books on QlikView, available on websites like Amazon.

As mentioned QlikView is not the newest product of Qlik, why QlikView and not moving directly into Qlik Cloud?

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer