Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hundkatzemaus2
Contributor II
Contributor II

QVD 2 CSV

Hi all,

I had the problem, that I generated various qvds during a load process. 

During the development process or later if I needed to change anything I often needed to check and analyse the qvds and its data.

To take a look into the qvds I use the "Easy Qlik QViewer". The trial version is free of charge and helps me with basic analysis. I can see the data and filter it.
Unfortunately there are also some limitations. The trial version only show the first 100.000 rows and I can't sort the data.

So if I need advanced analysis it would be perfect to have the data in Excel.

To optimize this process I wrote a little tool that automatically converts me a qvd file into a corresponding csv file, that opens in Excel.

The tool consists of two files that I have uploaded in this post.

How does the tool work:

• You drag & drop a qvd file on the uploaded QVD_2_EXCEL batch file.
  • The qvd file gets converted to a csv file
  • The csv file will be automatically opened in Excel

How do I get the tool to work on my system:

• First download the two files and rename the ".txt" file to ".bat"
    I needed to change it into a ".txt" file, because I'm not allowed to upload a ".bat" file here.
  • The batch file calls Qlikview and Excel, so before you use it, please check, if the paths used in the batch file are the correct ones on your system.
    E.g. I use Excel 2019, which is in the folder "Office16". If you use Excel 2021 then you would need to change the folder to "Office17"
  • In the batch file you also need to replace the placehoder "<path_of_the_qvw>" with the path where you have stored the QVD_2_CSV.qvw.
    E.g. if you store the qvw file in the same folder as the batch file, then simply delete the placeholder and the following backslash.
  • As I work with a german excel I need a ";" delimited csv file for excel to open it properly. If your Excel needs another delimiter then change it here in the script of the qvw file:  "(txt, delimiter is ';')"

I hope some of you might also find this little tool helpful and I hope that it can ease a little bit your daily work.
Any kind of feedback, ideas or extensions of the tool are highly appreciated.

Kind regards
Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

This is not a Qlik product. Easyqlik does have a support page, I would post the question there.

https://easyqlik.freshdesk.com/support/home

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

This is not a Qlik product. Easyqlik does have a support page, I would post the question there.

https://easyqlik.freshdesk.com/support/home

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Hundkatzemaus2
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Bill,

I don't understand your comment. My post has never been a request for help or support.
I described a problem I had and then a possible solution that I had created and that hopefully could be useful for other users...
For me my problem is solved. For me I did not need to post anything here. The only reason for my posting is to present my solution to others and maybe to receive some feedback that can help to make the solution even better or more useful

Kind regards
Chris