Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piotrtk
Contributor II
Contributor II

Complex variable in set expression

Hi,

Currently, I use following expresion in set analysis:

Sum({<Date_Select={'$(vDate_Sel1)', '$(vDate_Sel2)', '$(vDate_Sel3)', '$(vDate_Sel4)' }>} Sales_Amount

and each variable has a date assigned, like '03/10/2018', '10/03/2018', .....

When I try to use one variable 'vDate_Sel' with value like '03/10/2018, 10/03/2018, ...' then set analysis doesn't work. Probably, it is being treated as a string, not separated date values.

How should I use 'vDate'Sel' variable with multiple date values to work correctly in set expression?

Regards,

Piotr

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

You need to try vDateSel like this

'03/10/2018', '10/03/2018', ...'

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

You need to try vDateSel like this

'03/10/2018', '10/03/2018', ...'

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

What is the format of your date field Date_Select?

piotrtk
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Sorry, it doesn't work.

piotrtk
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

This is a little more complex as I have described. Actually, each variable includes 2 dates separated by '|' in format YYYY-MM-DD, like

2018-03-10|2017-12-31

But anyway, I can't create one variable with few such values.

sunny_talwar

ok

piotrtk
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

At the end I have found it works:

"You need to try vDateSel like this

'03/10/2018', '10/03/2018', ...'"

But in set expression I need to write:

Date_Select={$(vDate_Sel)}

instead of: Date_Select={'$(vDate_Sel)'}

Not sure why, but it works in this way.

Thank you!

cheenu_janakira
Creator III
Creator III

Two other possibilities:

I don't know the underlying structure of the VARs "Dat_Sel" but have you tried considered "CHR(39) & Concat(DISTINCT [Date Field], CHR(39) & ',' & CHR(39)) & CHR(39)" to create your full string of dates with single-quote separation.

Alterniatively, have you considered double-barrelling columns in said table one where date is a NUM (for set analysis) and one (as is present) where Date is in a user-friendly format.

Then in set analysis you put: SUM({$<Date_NUM = {$(=[Expression to return all dates as NUM separated by comma]), Date_Select=}>} Value).

The "Date Select=" in the set analysis will allow user to make selections on this field and the "Date_NUM [with expression]" will resolve for the right dates.

Worth a try maybe.