Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Delphines
Contributor III
Contributor III

Count the number of Wildmatch found

Hi everyone, 

I'm not sure this is the right way to put it (with count & wildmatch).

in a load script, I'm looking at character strings into a field. What I want to achieve is: if I found several specific characters strings in field1 (at least 2 among a list  + a key), then field2 = xyz.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Labels (2)
5 Replies
marcus_sommer

Maybe: rangesum(substringcount(Field, 'search1'), substringcount(Field, 'search2'), ...)

- Marcus

MarcoWedel

please post some sample values and your expected result

Delphines
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Marcus, 

I don't understand your suggestion 😟

Hi Marco, 

I currently have an If-Then-Else loop. the Wildmatch is in it:

If(Wildmatch( field, 'string1','string2',...) , 'result1' , 

if(Wildmatch( field, 'string1','string2',...) , 'result2' , 

'result20')))

But actually more than 1 result could be found with the Wildmatch: the if loop generate a priority so I end up with 1 result, but I would like to understand how many results, between result1 to result20, could be found for a given element of field. So ideally I would create a new field containing the number of results (from 1 to 20).

Thanks a lot !

marcus_sommer

Wildmatch() and substringcount() does quite the same unless the output is different and wildmatch() returned the position of the first match and substringcount() counts the number of matches. If I had understood it right you wants the last. Unclear is for me if several matches from a single search-string should be counted and/or if it should happen against multiple search-strings.

However, in both cases could the suggested approach in general been used whereby some adjustments and/or additions might be needed, for example wrapping the substringcount() with sign() to get only a 0/1 result and/or multiplying it with a continuous number like 1,2,3 ... and then using rangemax() instead of rangesum() and this is again embedded with a pick() to avoid the multiple nested if-loops.

It's not really difficult - just create a few substringcount() with and without the range-functions and see what happens.

- Marcus

Delphines
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Marcus, 

ok got it, thanks.