Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Announces Qlik Talend Cloud and Qlik Answers: LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Custom Layer for objects (set in Layout menu) is being auto-reset. How can I prevent this?!

I have several objects (most of which have conditional show / hide and are on top of each other) which need to be layered so as to not cover one another but be visible as needed. I have set Custom Layer for each object in the Layout menu. However, these values appear to be resetting to Bottom, Normal, etc. This is causing havoc in the application!

Is there a way to prevent the Custom Layers from being reset? Or, is there something that will reset these custom layers, like a Load without data or a Reduce Data, Save As, or something?

Any help would be great. Thanks! Gracias!

Using QV developer and server 8.50.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

You nudged me into finally analysing this problem (well you and the fact that it happened again to me last night), and now I've found the cause, I'm not sure exactly how we go about avoiding this or recognising it's happened before it's too late but at least you should know the cause.

Please see attached document,

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Sorry to barge in on the thread but hopefully adding another will mean somebody might take another look and provide some insight.

Every application we use has layering techniques which make extensive use of custom layer numbers, last night I made some fairly standard modifications to two of these applications and (as per Tyler's comments above) I now have every object reset to layer bottom. For me there is only one way out of this, that's to roll back and start again, and hope it doesn't happen again.

I have suffered this many times with our applications and it's getting pretty damned annoying, if anybody has any clues as to why this happens we would both be very pleased to hear it. I am convinced that making some small change in some window is forcing a global change to certain properties in all objects, I'd just like to know what so that I can avoid doing it again.

Just a clue......

I was doing some work yesterday on objects using the Settings, Sheet Properties and making changes to objects using this method. I'm going to run some trials to see if this is what's causing the problem.

Tyler, do you ever make object property changes using either the Settings-Document Properties or Settings-Sheet Properties methods?

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

I generally do not use the Dcoument Properties or Sheet Properties dialogue boxes to make 'global' changes to sheet objects. However, I do access an Object's Properties from either window (select the object and click "Edit"). But then I am just modifying the properties of that one object.

I do ocassionally use the format painter across sheet objects.

So far I have not found any patterns... 😐

Not applicable
Author

You nudged me into finally analysing this problem (well you and the fact that it happened again to me last night), and now I've found the cause, I'm not sure exactly how we go about avoiding this or recognising it's happened before it's too late but at least you should know the cause.

Please see attached document,

Not applicable
Author

Very Interesting!! (And SAD!) Great finding Nigel!

I have verified that this is the case. I went to the Layout tab of Sheet Properties and just hit OK (no changes or other clicks whatsoever) and BAM! Random layering.

So, now what?!

========================= Document Info ==========================
Document E:\QlikView\Development\_Apps\AccessPoint_Testing\Test_Application_2.qvw
Connection Local
DecimalSep Doc="."(2E) Sys="."(2E)
ThousandSep Doc=","(2C) Sys=","(2C)
ListSep Doc=","(2C) Sys=","(2C)
MoneyDecimalSep Doc="."(2E) Sys="."(2E)
MoneyThousandSep Doc=","(2C) Sys=","(2C)
MoneyFmt Doc="$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)" Sys="$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)"
TimeFmt Doc="h:mm:ss TT" Sys="h:mm:ss TT"
DateFmt Doc="M/D/YYYY" Sys="M/D/YYYY"
TimestampFmt Doc="M/D/YYYY h:mm:ss[.fff] TT" Sys="M/D/YYYY h:mm:ss[.fff] TT"
Document File Format 6000 (6000)
Saved in Version 8.50.6326.0409.3
Client NT Name
Access ADMIN
======================= Object Cache Info ========================
Object Cache Limit (MB) 13107.06
========================= QlikView Info ==========================
Client Build Number 8.50.6326.0409.3
Server Build Number -
QlikTech Product QlikView 64-bit Edition (x64)
License Key *********
Max Product Level 3
Current Product Level 3
CPU Target x64
======================= Local System Info ========================
Operating System Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2 (64 bit edition)
Operating System Version 5.2.3790
Wow64 mode Not using Wow64
IE Version 6.0.3790.1830
MDAC Version 2.82.1830.0
MDAC Full Install Version 2.82.1830.0
ComCtl32 version 6.0.3790
Current Theme Classic (No theme active)
Graphics 1 1440*900 pixels. 1 Monitors.
Graphics 2 16 Bit Color Depth. 96 XDpi. 96 YDpi.
Local Time 2010-04-21 09:13
GMT Time 2010-04-21 14:13
Country 1 United States United States
Language 0409 English (United States) English
Physical RAM(MB) 131070
VMCommitted(MB) 443
VMAllocated(MB) 528
VMFree(MB) 8388080
VMLargestFreeBlock(MB) 8380662
Number of CPUs 16
CPU 0 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 1 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 2 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 3 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 4 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 5 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 6 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 7 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 8 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 9 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 10 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 11 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 12 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 13 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 14 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz
CPU 15 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7330 @ 2.40GHz 2399MHz

Not applicable
Author

Tyler

I've now reported this problem, and sent the document, to QlikTech support and we'll see what comes back from them.

Don't hold your breath, they are notoriously slow at coming back with answers to this stuff, once this gets through first line support it will go to second line...........

At that point I fully expect a response that tells me this is a WAD (working as designed), I'd put good money on it.

Will let you know,

Not applicable
Author

Nigel,

Funny you should mention their speed of response. Just this morning I received a follow up from a ticket submitted... well, I don't remember when I submitted it (January?).

Thanks for following up on this. It's nice to be heard and validated, even if not by the company that could fix the bug.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tyler

Just got this response from them

Dear Nigel,

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. We have logged it as bug ID 27579 with our QA department. If approved the bug will hopefully be fixed in the next Service Release - however due to uncertainties regarding potential related problems and program priorities we cannot guarantee a fix date at this time.

I will advise you if there are any further developments in this regard. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.
Kind regards,
Staffan Wessman

Now we wait................

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Nigel for the update.

The email is a good reminder of one of QlikView support's strengths: COPY and PASTE (like the Reference Manual). Smile

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tyler,

did you hear back from qliktech or found a solution to this please?

Thanks

Elly