Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Execute batch file with input defined by variable from script

Hi,

I am trying to launch a bat file from my load script using the execute command. Problems rise when I try to add some input defined by a variable.

I write in my qlikview load script:

execute "path to my -bat file" $(input_variable);

where input_variable contains three inputs separated by a space, e.g input variable = 1 2 3. For some reason the input defined by the variable is not passed on to the .bat file. If instead I write:

execute "path to my -bat file" 1 2 3;

my .bat file correctly takes the input 1 2 3. So it seems that I can't define it by a variable which is a problem as I would like to define it dynamically.

can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

3 Replies
goro2010
Creator
Creator

If you want to change the variable on the BAT file that needs to be executed, you need to write a Macro:

Execute Command:

EXECUTE cmd.exe /C C:\QVD\test.bat;

EXIT SCRIPT;

Macro:

SUB BatTest

SET d = ActiveDocument.Variables("vTest")

vTest = d.GetContent.STRING

Set obj = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

obj.Run "C:\QVD\test.bat "&vTest, , TRUE

End Sub

---vTest is a variable with whatever number I need to populate, example, 1, 2, 3, etc...

My BAT File:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\qlikView\QV.exe" /VvReloadMacro=%1 /NoSecurity "C:\QVD\Test.qvw"

--Use the %1 where you want to have your variable be pushed to..

You can have any amount of variables, in your macro you can change the following:

SUB BatTest

SET d = ActiveDocument.Variables("vTest")

vTest = d.GetContent.STRING

Set obj = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

obj.Run "C:\QVD\test.bat "&vTest&" 20", , TRUE

End Sub

And your BAT file:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\qlikView\QV.exe" /VvReloadMacro=%1 /VvReloadMacro2=%2 /NoSecurity "C:\QVD\Test.qvw"

Please ensure that the variables exist vReloadMacro & vReloadMacro2 in your document.

ETC...

Hope this helps!

Not applicable
Author

It works when I set the variable (input_variable = 1 2 3) with a button clik front end and then initiate a reload with another button. This is the solution I'll go with.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your time and answer. Unfortunately I did not get to test if your solution works, as I prefer not to go the 'macro-way'.