Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devans_1
Creator
Creator

Pivot table expansion question

Hi All,

Is it possible to work out whether a field in a pivot table is expanded or not ? I have 'x' fields in a table and I wish to know whether a particular one of these is expanded or not. I want to pop up a pop up if it is not.

Any help/advice appreciated.

David

7 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I'm afraid not. At least not in the main UI. I don't think there is a VB query either.

Could you use Dimensionality() and display something in the chart?

Not applicable

Agreed, don't think there is an easy way to do this. Only other option I can think of is a custom drill down group and conditional dimensions based on that, so you would expand (i.e show) using the drill which can be readable to pop a message.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I've just had an idea....

How about creating a pivot table with (e.g.) 5 dimensions and manually expanding them all once. Make dims 2-5 conditional based on some kind of user action (button to update a variable maybe) and when the user activates them they will be expanded already (I think). You will know when dims are "enabled" which also represents "expanded" so you can pop a message.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable

You would need to have the chart fully expanded for that, or users could collapse down in chart and the variable wouldn't be updated, potentially giving the wrong popped message. So you'd need a collapse action along with the expand, sounds good though

devans_1
Creator
Creator
Author

It looks like there may be some possible scope to solve this with some workaround but the short answer to my problem appears to be that it can't be done easily.

Thanks all for these ideas.

Not applicable

hit the nail on the head there yea

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Please mark a correct answer to close the thread.