Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kunkulis
Creator
Creator

Store table in to *.txt

Hello,

I have scrip that loads and organize the date. In one point it puts all the data needed in one small table and then stores it in txt file:

store * from TABLE into C:\TABLE.txt (txt, delimiter is ';');

Now it works just fine, but for no reason it chooses to put some comments between these things - "".

Looking trough all the steps that data goes through, these things don't show up anywhere except for when it is stored in txt.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something in this process? 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atoz1158
Creator II
Creator II

Hi

Normally in text files any string type field that contains characters that could mean something else, like the field delimiters, will be wrapped with " characters.

Regards

Adrian

View solution in original post

4 Replies
atoz1158
Creator II
Creator II

Hi

Normally in text files any string type field that contains characters that could mean something else, like the field delimiters, will be wrapped with " characters.

Regards

Adrian

Kunkulis
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, looks like it is the solution.

The only thing is that, I saw in the comment, it had ";" and a double space that seemed out of place. By removing them, it didn't help. But once I removed all the symbols  ; - ( ) , .   and the double spacing, also replacing every space in with a comma and then replacing it back to space only then it removed the quotation marks from the txt file.

Do you have any idea why it was still putting it in the quotation marks?

BR,
Kunkulis

atoz1158
Creator II
Creator II

Hi

A lot of characters can have special meanings to various systems and because what ever method has been used in Qlikview does not know what the txt file is going to be used for it seems to play safe and puts the double quote character around any text that contains these sort of special characters as this is the most common way used to stop the characters being misread when the file is used for input.

Regards

Adrian

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey guys, the following Design Blog post may shed a little further light upon things here, from a more official stance, there is a subsequent link at the bottom of the post to another post as well, but I thought this one might be a bit more pertinent in regards to what you were experiencing, hope it may help a bit more:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Escape-sequences/ba-p/1469770

You guys are definitely on the right track with things.  The only other thing of which I can think that is in play here would be the following:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/scrip...

In particular the BNF section, but maybe some of the others help here too...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.