Skip to main content

Suggest an Idea

Vote for your favorite Qlik product ideas and add your own suggestions.

JSON File type

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

JSON File type

Add full support for JSON file type in same way as XML is supported - virtually nobody uses XML any more ?!?

Whilst there are various suggested workarounds using FROM_FIELD and table load, or REST connection all have limitations. Using the Data Connection wizard or the '+' / Add Data options it would be really nice if JSON could be parsed and loaded via the wizard.

Tableau provides this.

PowerBI provides this.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
Caique_Zaniolo
Employee
Employee

This is not something we will deliver as part of the exporting capabilities. JSON formats can be created using the APIs endpoints available on Qlik Sense. 
Please refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/February2020/Subsystems/EngineAPI/Content/Sense_EngineAP...

Status changed to: Closed - Declined
mountaindude
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

@Caique_Zaniolo 

The API you refer to is great, but not quite the point of this suggestion I believe.

What I would REALLY appreciate (and what I think @AndrewMcIlwrick is also referring to) is the ability to interact with JSON (or YAML for that matter!!) formatted data as a file format. 

Let's say you have a bunch of JSON files on disk and you need to load them into Sense. That's non-trivial right now, simply because Sense does not support JSON formatted files as a folder data source.

In the REST connector you can load JSON data just fine (love that feature, btw!), but not from files on disk.

I talked to some of Qlik's product guys about this... like two years ago and the response was "oh... that doesn't work?" At the time I got the understanding there was no technical or practical reason why this could not be implemented.

Sense supports loading XML and other formats from disk - so why not support the formats currently used by developers out there?

AndrewMcIlwrick
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Agreed ! An "average" user can really not be expected to use APIs to load a common data file format. Also re. product response - the two main competitors for Sense have this. Lack of JSON file loads remains a glaring gap in the product.