9 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 1:23 PM by groizner RSS

Calculated Dimension

Julie Stephens

I have a table of Vendors (e.g., Apple, HP, Dell, Sony) and I would like to compare results from 1 selected vendor to the result of everyone else. For example, let's say that my selected Vendor is 'Dell':

Vendor Sales (ThisYr) Sales (LastYr)
Dell $100,000 $125,000
Others $500,000 $550,000

Can I use a calculated Dimension for this, where 'others' would represent an aggregated total of non-selected vendors?

• Calculated Dimension
    Julie Stephens

BTW...I've hardcoded a calculated dimensions as follows:

1. Vendor = 'Dell'
    2. Vendor <> 'Dell'

The results are fine, but the table is displayed as follows:

1. -1
    2. 0

I've tried substituting 'Dell' with vCurrentVendor, but then the results are not broken out into 2 lines as I would expect, but rather combined into one aggregated amount.

Is there a better way to do this and have my results presented as in my original post above?

• Calculated Dimension
    adamvaughan

I was going to say:

=if(vendor <> GetFieldSelections(vendor),'Others',GetFieldSelections(vendor))

but it doesn't work.... :(

however this does:

=if(vendor<>'dell','Others',vendor)

it seems that of course when you make a selection, you then get the "others" data as excluded and hence wont show. I'll have a think.

• Calculated Dimension
      Oleg Troyansky

In order to create your dimensions, you need to use "Synthetic Dimensions" - look them up in the Help Section.

The first value would be only(Vendor) and the second value would be a constant "Others".

In your expressions, you'll need to use function IF() to question the value of your synthetic dimension, in order to choose the relevant expression.

cheers,

• Calculated Dimension
        Ashok Kumar Jayabal

Hi Oleg Troyansky,

Can u provide a sample application of using the synthetic dimension for the above query?????????

thanks in advance

• Calculated Dimension
          Julie Stephens

I will be happy to post a solution once it's done. It may take some time for me to figure it out though. QV help text on synthetic dimension functions isn't very helpful Zip it! But I do believe herein lies the solution. It would allow you to select 1 or more vendors and compare them to the group that is not selected...very nice!

• Calculated Dimension
          Oleg Troyansky

Here is a simple example demonstrating the use of Synthetic Dimensions.

Enjoy!

• Calculated Dimension
            Ashok Kumar Jayabal

Hi Oleg Troyansky,

Thank you for ur reply..

its g8..............

• Calculated Dimension
              groizner

Hi guys,

Could you please help me with the following issue?

I want to build the following Pie Chart being able to filter by year, supplier, etc with one selected customer value.

part-to-whole.JPG

What are the needed expression(s) in order to have this Pie Chart?

Synthetic Dimension: =ValueList('$(=only([Customer]))', 'Others')

Expression: if(ValueList('$(=only([Customer]))', 'Others') = 'Others',

sum({1-$} Sales),

sum(Sales)

)

Do you know how can I filter per year, supplier or product category on the first sum: sum({1-$} Sales) ?

I would like to filter by year, supplier, etc but there is the {1-$}

Selecting year, supplier, etc works only with sum(Sales).

Thank you,

- Gabriel

• Calculated Dimension
    Michael Solomovich

I'm sure that you can resolve this using set analysys. There are examples in Help that you can use.