Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Guage Chart - Multiple Needles

hey guys...Do any of you know if Qlikview Guage chart will let us display more than one needle for multiple expressions? In other words, if we want to compare region sales with the country wide sales, will it be possible to show the two needles on the same guage chart- one for the region and the other for the country so that we could it use it as a reference.

I tried but wasn't successful. Just wanted to make sure if I'm doing something wrong.

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that this is not possible.

If I wanted to do this I would create a second copy of the guage which is placed exactly over the top of the first, the second guage should be entriely transparant apart from the needle.

Fiddly way to do it, but it should work.

Cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Nigel. Your suggestion is definitely a workaround.

But if I put one chart on top of the other, the needle is kind of getting truncated for the bottom chart coz you can make the chart transparent but not the guage scale. The presentation is not that great.

Anyway, thanks again. I was hoping to save some real estate if this was possible. I'll should probably go with setting up 2 guage charts beside each other.

Not applicable
Author

Oh well, never mind!

Another option that might be worth a go is to put the second guage inside the first guage, if the scale is the same then this can often work well, but only if the first guage is big enough to accommodate a second one within it (which sort of negates the real estate saving issue).

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Nigel. I appreciate your help.

This is a better option than the previous one.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Sounds like you're using circular gauges, but you could simulate linear gauges with a bar chart with symbols on it. See attached.

Not applicable
Author

Hi, I came across this the other day but managed to find a different workaround for circular gauge charts on my own. I thought I'd share it back on this post again.

Reference lines have now been added to QV10 gauge charts, but incase there is anyone out there using QV9 with the same problem (like me) here is my solution:

For 1 extra dynamic "needle", using two (dynamic) sections of colour.

Set up 2 variables: vNeedVal (for the position of the needle) and vSecVal - for where the limit is in terms of the segments.

Set up 4 segments in the presentation tab of the chart properties dialogue. Set the lower limits and colours of the segments as thus: (sorry, I can;t seem to add tables)

Segment    Value                                                                                  Colour

~~~~~~~   ~~~~                                                                                      ~~~~~~

Segment 1  0.0                                                                                       =green()
Segment 2 =if(vSecVal<vNeedVal,vSecVal,vNeedVal)                        =if(vSecVal<vNeedVal,green(),black())
Segment 3 =if(vSecVal<vNeedVal,vNeedVal,vNeedVal*1.01)              =if(vSecVal<vNeedVal,black(),red())
Segment 4 =if(vSecVal<vNeedVal,vNeedVal*1.01,vSecVal)                =red()

This creates a dummy black segment that could be used as a benchmark or second needle.

Erica

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

we can't open attached qvw file.