cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ynottableau
Contributor II
Contributor II

short way to write select statement to avoid loading empty columns

Hi, I often have to load from large databases that contains many columns with no data (null) and many times without knowing exactly what data are available. 

I want to avoid having to load the data first, then checking each column, by dragging it into a table, to see if it is empty. It is very tedious.

Is there a short way to write a Select satement (say for SQL like databases) that will avoid loading empty column, without explicitly checking each column using 'len(column)>0.' Again There could be hundreds of columns.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
udit_k
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

We could use IS NOT Null and Coalesce function in sql statement to work with null values 

IS NOT  NUll:-

The IS NOT NULL condition is used to return the rows that contain non-NULL values in a column

SELECT FirstName, LastName ,MiddleName FROM Person.Person WHERE
MiddleName IS NOT NULL

Coalesce function :-
The COALESCE() function takes unlimited parameters and returns the first non-null expression in a list.

SELECT FirstName,LastName,Suffix,Title,
COALESCE(Title,Suffix,FirstName) AS NewValue
FROM Person.Person
marcus_sommer

If you want to avoid the loading of empty fields you will need to check them before you start the load. This could be done by querying the system-tables of the data-base - which might be not always very simple as it could mean to combine multiple queries to get the needed information and/or requiring special access rights and may not be feasible by dynamic views.

Beside this you could remove the empty fields also after the load by querying the Qlik system-fields, something like:

for i  = nooffields('table') to 1 step -1
   let vName = fieldname($(i), 'table');
   let vContent = fieldvaluecount('$(vName)');
   if $(vContent) = 0 then
       drop fields [$(vName)];
   end if
next

You may need here an there some adjustments to the syntax and/or to your logic (excluding some fields, also looping against the nooftables() with a similar logic, ...) but the approach in general will work.