Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ldybicz6
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Reporting on Named CALs by QVW authorizations

Hi,

I am trying to find a listing of all Named CAL QVW authorization assignments. This would be similar to how we can find the list of each document CAL QVW authorization from the CalData.pgo file (CalData/PerDocumentCalData/PerDocumentCalData). I would like to obtain similar per-document authorization data for the Named CALs and cannot find how to do so.

We have a variety of named user CALs assigned. We use DMS authorization. Some Named CALs are assigned to usernames that are available in a configured QMC directory. Other named CALs are assigned to external usernames that are connected to the Access Point via external SSO.

I know that I can obtain a simple list of the current Named CALs with CalData/NamedCalsAllocated/CalAllocEntry. However, I cannot find a way to query what documents those named CALs are assigned to. I highly suspect that this information is available somewhere because I can find it on the QMC. In the QMC, if I go to the Users tab and search for a given named User, the resulting Documents list will show me all of the documents which that named CAL is authorized. I am essentially trying to obtain this same output from the server files themselves.

The reason I am looking for an external server data source is because I can only query the QMC for users that exist in one of my directories. For external SSO users, they do not appear in the QMC because it can only search by QMC connected directories.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Labels (2)
7 Replies
Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@ldybicz6 

When you assign a name CAL it is not associated to any document, like the document CALs are.

Assigning a named CAL gives the user the "license rights" to open any document on the Server, but they can still only open documents they have access to. 

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @ldybicz6 

I agrre with @Maria_Halley.  Refer to QlikView Help entry About QlikView Client Access Licenses, which states:A Named User CAL allows a single named user to access any QlikView document that resides on the QlikView Serveras often and for as long as they need.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
marcus_sommer

Your wanted information are stored within the *.meta files. Unfortunately they are not directly readable because it is some kind of binary - whereby your essential data are in cleartext. AFAIK there is no public documentation available to the data-structure and therefore it would be quite a challenge to pick the useful data and transforming them into a sensible data-structure.

If you are experienced with binary-stuff you may try a reverse engineering or maybe more practically removing the "garbage" step by step within multiple iterations. Whereby that's not mandatory all because by using nested user-groups to assign the access-rights you will get only the main-groups which means you will also need extra efforts to resolve them to the single user. I don't know if the above is also the case by using multiple directories.

Before going such way I suggest to investigate if there are any possibilities with the management API and/or the old Power Tools and also if other approaches are more practically and expedient. The last could mean to use the above mentioned nested user-groups in a strict manner which might be make a manually maintaining of user-groups with belonging groups/user + applications practical. Another way to report the access rights might be to use section access authorizations and just reading these tables.  

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

@ldybicz6,

You may find what you need in the QlikView Governance Dashboardselecting CAL type on the Sessions pages to view / filter usage by day or server.

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
ldybicz6
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi @Maria_Halley I do understand the nature of a named CAL. I am trying to find the list of current document authorizations for each named CAL.

I do think this should be possible because it is reportable in the QMC itself, so that information has to reside somewhere. In the QMC, if I go to the Users tab and search for a given named User, the resulting Documents list will show me all of the documents which that named CAL is authorized.

I am essentially trying to obtain this same output from the server files themselves OR find a way to report in the QMC for non-directory named CALs.

Thanks

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@ldybicz6 

Do you mean a list of what documents a user have access to? 

ldybicz6
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

@Maria_Halley correct. But for named licenses and specifically external SSO named licenses. I cannot find a way to report on the list of documents that a named user SSO license is authorized on.