Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView keeps crashing when executing load script (no errors)

Hi

I’m building a data model (output QVD file is at most 1.5GB) and my QlikView keeps crashing when running my entire load script, can anyone give me any advice on how to proceed?

• When I break the load script into parts, each individual parts run fine – there is no error/issue from the script itself
  • The model mostly just consolidates numerous data tables into a coherent data model => most of the script (70%) are just LOAD statements with minor transformation, not a lot of heavy logic
  • The crash usually happens when executing LOAD statements => the execution log would freeze while the "Time Elapsed" timer continues to tick
    • EX: the execution log will say "Hierarchy_Table << Accounts 201,708" and become frozen/no longer updated, but the timer continues to count the minutes elapsed
  • When “Abort” or “End Here” is clicked, QlikView immediately crashes and cannot restore the last loaded data. Everything must start again from the last save
    • I tried waiting for 1 hour before giving up and aborting

Could this be related to memory allocation used by QlikView? My laptop has 8GB Ram, but I think only 2GB is allocated to QlikView thus far.

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! And sorry, there's way too much data to share and it's all confidential.

2 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You should use Windows Task Manager and select the Performance tab to monitor how the CPU utilization and memory consumption is while you run your load script and especially when it crashes.

Do you run out of memory? How about CPU utilitzation - mind you 90-100% doesn't indicate a problem but is interesting to observe.

I would say that the symptoms you describe indicates that you could have a problem with your data model - how the different tables eventually gets associated via key fields.

Do you have or get any synthetic keys?

You mention that crash "usually" happens when executing load statements. Does that mean that it does not occur at the same place of the load script?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter

Thanks for your advice

Monitoring Windows Task Manager shows 90-100% CPU usage and around 4GB RAM usage (my laptop has 8GB available). Another diagnostic test i tried is to load only 0.01% in all my LOAD statements ( rand() < 0.0001 ) and no crashes are observed. Can i conclude this is RAM allocation related? If so, how can i allocate more to QlikView?

I don't believe synthetic keys are used - how would I check for it?