Qlik Sense Data Architect Certification v2 Preparation

Today, I passed the Qlik Sense Data Architect Certification Exam - v2!! (Albeit by the skin of my teeth). I thought I would share some of my thoughts on how to better prepare for this exam for others who might be interested. Overall, it was a great experience and I actually learned some things while taking the test that I can use to further improve the dashboards and data load scripts that I've already built!

To briefly clarify the logistics of the exam:

• Test takers have 150 minutes (two and a half hours)
    • The test consists of one part with 66 questions (2.3 minutes per question)
    • 65% is the passing grade (43 questions correct out of 66)
    • Test consists of only multiple choice and multiple-select questions
    • Scoring: Upon review of my test results I have reason to believe one of the following is true:
      • Either questions are weighted differently in terms of how much they contribute to your final score, or
      • Partial credit is rewarded for questions where you have to select multiple options (select 2 of the 5 choices...)

First and foremost, the practice tests provided by Qlik (Take the Qlik Skills Assessment: Become A Power User) are not an accurate measure of whether you'll be able to pass the certification exam. If you're going to spend time doing these practice tests, don't worry so much about getting a good score, but research all of the potential answers to help guide your studies to areas you may be weaker in.

The main source of my studying over the past week was using the Qlik Sense Documentation (go figure): https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Content/Guides.htm. I focused more on the "Manage data" and "Script syntax and chart functions" PDFs as I thought those were more aligned with this particular exam. It particularly helps to learn about the powerful functions in the Qlik Engine that you may not use a lot like QUALIFY, PEEK, LOAD vs. CONCATENATE, GENERIC LOAD, and Section Access.

Additionally, I've had this Set Analysis: syntaxes, examples document on my desk for years now. It's fairly old, but it explains the concepts of set analysis very well and I've pretty much committed it to memory. It was an enormous help for this test.

My last piece of advice is to TEST EVERYTHING OUT FOR YOURSELF. Every practice question and every new function you learn should be tested out in a dashboard or data load script you've made for yourself. This is the ultimate way to learn for me and it helps learn some other useful things along the way. I've been using Qlik Sense for about a year and a half now and over this past week I learned so much more just by building various things in a test dashboard.

Good Luck!

-Tim