Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmackintosh
Contributor III
Contributor III

flexible Date dimension according to location close date

Hi

I'm plotting counts of events happening over time, by month, using MonthYear as my chart dimension.

What I want is that the dimension is always populated, even during months where no events occur.

However, if the selected location has a close date, then the dimension should not display any points after that month.

To put it another way  if there is no close date, display all points up to current month, with a zero displayed for any months were no events happened.

If there is a close date, display a zero for months where no events happened, but do not display any points after the month of the close date.

my  main chart expression was originally

Sum ([Count]) + Sum({1} 0) to ensure in months where no event occurs, the chart displays a zero.

Some locations have closed, and there is  a close date field.

I have wrapped that with the MonthName function, creating a PlotEndDate, which is either the Month Year of the close date, or the current maximum Month Year.

I tried using

=IF(MonthYear<=[PlotEndDate],Sum ([Count]) + Sum({$} 0),Sum ([Count]) )as my main expression.

My calculate  dimension is IF(MonthYear<=[PlotEndDate],MonthYear)

That works, in that if there is a closed date, I don't get any zero values plotted for months beyond that.

However, it doesn't satisfy the need to plot a zero for any months prior to the close date, where no event occurred.

If I change the chart expression

=IF(MonthYear<=[PlotEndDate],Sum ([Count]) + Sum({1} 0),Sum ([Count]) ),  then I'm back to have all months plotted, even past the close date.

Any thoughts or pointers on the best way to achieve this? Or is it not possible because its almost looking for conditional nulls?

EDIT -  with regards to the dimension, I have experimented with suppress when value is null, and generally I get the best results with this selected

Message was edited by: John MacKintosh Added extra info about suppress when value is null

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

How about this

=Aggr(If(MonthYear < Only(TOTAL <Location> [PlotEndDate]), MonthYear), Location, MonthYear)

View solution in original post

15 Replies
sunny_talwar

Did you try this

Dimension

IF(MonthYear<=[PlotEndDate],MonthYear)

Expression

Sum ([Count]) + Sum({$} 0)

and then 'Suppress When Value is Null' on the dimensions tab

johnmackintosh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sunny,

Thanks

I've just tried this.

It correctly stops points plotting after the close date, but doesn't plot zeros for months in between start date and close date where no event occurs.

I have 'Suppress When Value is Null' on the dimensions tab checked.

sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share a sample to test and play around with?

sunny_talwar

What is Sum(Count) here?

johnmackintosh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Sorry Sunny -  not thinking, its already summarised  - Events is the Sum(Count)

Ignore that, and I'll  get some raw non/summarised data together

I'm going to delete that spreadsheet now

sunny_talwar

Sounds good

johnmackintosh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It's very hot in Scotland today.

We're not used to it.. brains don't work

johnmackintosh
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Here is a minimal example.

There should Counts of 1 or 2 per month when summarised by month

Ideally I'd like zero's plotted in between times.

And nothing past the plot end date.

sunny_talwar

Try this as a calculated dimension

=IF(MonthYear <= Only(TOTAL [PlotEndDate]), MonthYear)

Capture.PNG