Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to do this in the script

I have a basic row count function in a pivot table. when I use rank function it creates a tie for equals. is it possible to give position as show in the image below and can it be done at script level?

so when there is a tie I want the position not skip 4. so there  will be 2 4's. in other words disregard the usual interpretation of "Rank"

also pls see qvw attached

pivot_table.PNG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Trying to come up with a logic to explain to you made me realize when would Div by 5 break. Lets walk through the whole scenario and then I will explain when we would want to change from 5 to something else. (Massimo‌ please free to correct me if I my understanding isn't right)

Step 1-1)

Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor))

Concate a distinct (USING DISTINCT) list of possible ranks by each group (TOTAL <Group>) which is sorted in ascending order using the expression -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor) and separated by '-'.

Assign the possible list of rank a particular formatting here where they should all be 4 digit. I think the assumption here is that the max rank would ever be 9999, if this is not true, then you can change from '0000' to '00000'. This will not cover upto 99999 (this is where the division will come into play, which I will go into later)

Capture.PNG

Step 1-2)

Num(Rank(Count({ < FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),'0000')

Find the rank for each row and assign it the same number formatting as the formatting assigned with the Concat function. '0000' or '00000'.

Capture.PNG

Step 2)

Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)),

Num(Rank(Count({ < FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),'0000'))

Find the location of '-' within the concatenated list of rank, but this index function has a third parameter telling it to look for which '-' in the list. The third parameter is basically the rank from Step 1-2 which goes like 1, 2, 3. So basically what is the location of first 1st '-', 2nd '-' and so on....

Capture.PNG

Step 3)

Div(Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)),

Num(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1), '0000')), 5) + 1

I don't think we have to use Div function here, I believe that if the list of rank is small you can also use Pick match, but for a larger rank, div will work better here.

The idea is that since we have used '0000' as number formatting the location of '-' will change by 5 each time (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27, 32, ......) so dividing this by 5 will give us (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and adding one to this will give us (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Now for the cases we have repeating rank we will get the same position of '-' and for the next highest rank, even the concatenated list of ranks wouldn't have the next set of rank making this expression possible to get the number incrementally (look at the three highlighted rows below).

Capture.PNG

Now if for some reason we think that rank can run above 10,000, but less than 99,999, we might want to change the expression to this:

Div(Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '00000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)),

Num(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1), '00000')), 6) + 1

Capture.PNG

Apologize for the long post, but I hope this will clarify any doubts that we had and as mentioned above, if Massimo finds anything wrong with the logic here would be able to correct us as well.

Best,

Sunny

View solution in original post

11 Replies
trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Please take a look at the below link:

Simple Rank() question

sunny_talwar

Thanks for sharing the post trdandamudi‌. I wonder if there are still limitations here (For instance what is the reason for dividing by 5), but was able to configure maxgro‌'s expression for it to work here:

Div(Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)), Num(Rank(Count({ < FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),'0000')), 5) + 1

Capture.PNG

sunny_talwar

Here is a script based solution:

Table:

LOAD * INLINE [

Group, Vendor, ID, Trans_ID, FieldA

Black, UVW, A65, A165, 1

Black, WXY, A66, A166, 1

Black, WXY, A67, A167, 1

Black, WXY, A68, A168, 0

];

TEMP:

LOAD Group,

Vendor,

Count(Vendor) as Count

Resident Table

Where FieldA = 1

Group By Group, Vendor;

Left Join (Table)

LOAD Group,

Vendor,

AutoNumber(Count, Group) as Rank

Resident TEMP

Order By Group, Count desc;

DROP Table TEMP;

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Sunny,

When you get a chance can you please let me know what exactly this expression is doing. It is little confusing with the division .

Thanks

sunny_talwar

Trying to come up with a logic to explain to you made me realize when would Div by 5 break. Lets walk through the whole scenario and then I will explain when we would want to change from 5 to something else. (Massimo‌ please free to correct me if I my understanding isn't right)

Step 1-1)

Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor))

Concate a distinct (USING DISTINCT) list of possible ranks by each group (TOTAL <Group>) which is sorted in ascending order using the expression -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor) and separated by '-'.

Assign the possible list of rank a particular formatting here where they should all be 4 digit. I think the assumption here is that the max rank would ever be 9999, if this is not true, then you can change from '0000' to '00000'. This will not cover upto 99999 (this is where the division will come into play, which I will go into later)

Capture.PNG

Step 1-2)

Num(Rank(Count({ < FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),'0000')

Find the rank for each row and assign it the same number formatting as the formatting assigned with the Concat function. '0000' or '00000'.

Capture.PNG

Step 2)

Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)),

Num(Rank(Count({ < FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),'0000'))

Find the location of '-' within the concatenated list of rank, but this index function has a third parameter telling it to look for which '-' in the list. The third parameter is basically the rank from Step 1-2 which goes like 1, 2, 3. So basically what is the location of first 1st '-', 2nd '-' and so on....

Capture.PNG

Step 3)

Div(Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '0000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)),

Num(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1), '0000')), 5) + 1

I don't think we have to use Div function here, I believe that if the list of rank is small you can also use Pick match, but for a larger rank, div will work better here.

The idea is that since we have used '0000' as number formatting the location of '-' will change by 5 each time (2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27, 32, ......) so dividing this by 5 will give us (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and adding one to this will give us (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Now for the cases we have repeating rank we will get the same position of '-' and for the next highest rank, even the concatenated list of ranks wouldn't have the next set of rank making this expression possible to get the number incrementally (look at the three highlighted rows below).

Capture.PNG

Now if for some reason we think that rank can run above 10,000, but less than 99,999, we might want to change the expression to this:

Div(Index('-' & Concat(DISTINCT TOTAL <Group> Num(Aggr(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1),Group, Vendor), '00000'), '-', -Aggr(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID), Group, Vendor)),

Num(Rank(Count({<FieldA = {'1'}>} ID),1,1), '00000')), 6) + 1

Capture.PNG

Apologize for the long post, but I hope this will clarify any doubts that we had and as mentioned above, if Massimo finds anything wrong with the logic here would be able to correct us as well.

Best,

Sunny

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Thank you very much for the detailed post and really appreciate for your valuable time.

Thanks

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi John,

Group:

LOAD

Group,

Vendor,

Count(Trans_ID) as [Regular Count]

Resident INLFED Group by Group, Vendor;

DROP Table INLFED;

Left Join (Group)

Load

Group,

Vendor,

AutoNumber([Regular Count],Group) as Position

Resident Group Order by Group, [Regular Count] desc;

This gives for the Yellow group:

Group Vendor Regular Count Position
YellowABC121
YellowYOY72
YellowCDE63
YellowABDD44
YellowMYM44
YellowABCC35
YellowABEE16

Kind regards

Andrew

sunny_talwar

No problem trdandamudi‌. I think I need to thank you for bringing this technique to my notice. I would have not learned a new thing if it is not for you today. So thank you my friend.

Best,

Sunny

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This one is very simple in nature but I am unable to pull the top 5. below: all 3 fields are from a table with out any aggregation.

how to show top 5: ABC, MYE, MYM, ABCC, ABCD, ABCE, YOU, YOY, CDE & CDF.  as an expression on the front end not on the back end. QVW attached as well. Thanks again.

rank_image.PNG