Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView vs BusinessObjects (BO)

Hey everybody,

I'm currently trying to compare QlikView 9 and BO XI.

I found a blog comparing both products http://qlikviewvsolap.blogspot.com/2009/02/qlikview-vs-bo.html.

I need to answer questions like : what's the best between BO universe and QV script, which one has the best GUI, which one is the most competitive according to the number of end users, the amount of data, etc

Has any of you some documentations, website, blog that could help me to make this comparison.

Regards

Kevin

23 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

I will share all the points discussed in the presentation to the forum

Thanks

Karthik N S

Not applicable
Author

BO doesn't require a DWH. You can report on any relational database. With Crystal Reports you can connect to practically and data source as long as you have an ODBC driver for it.

BO Enterprise is very scalable both vertically and horizontally. This said, you need to configure and scale the system according to the amount of users and throughput you are going to have.

I'm not saying it's the best BI tool out there. I just think that you need to compare apples to apples, not apples with pears. At the end of the day you have to define your requirements in detail, then go looking for a suitable BI tool to suit those needs.

suniljain
Master
Master

BO does not require a DWH.

is it 100 % coreect in real sense?. It is depends on your R/3 integration and requirement of BI.

If you donot have separate DWH , then you know it directly affect the performance of R/3 architecture.

Not applicable
Author

As I said you can point BO (especially Crystal Reports) to any data source. So in the real world (real sense) you don't require a DWH. Obviously if you are using SAP, then you are more than likely to have a DWH of some description.

There are enough companies out there using BO, who do not have a DWH and do NOT use SAP.

Not applicable
Author

BO is huge, as if you are comparing microsoft products with ms office. You may narrow your research on XCelsius or Dashboard Design, a dashboard product of SAP BO.

ad-hoc is straightforward: on the fly reports

Will Massaki

suniljain
Master
Master

lots of SAP Customer accepted Qlikview as a Business Intelligence tool instead of SAP BO.

SAP BO can not gives you detail information that Qlikview can give.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

If you are looking for pure adhoc reporting where users would be using the tool just to extract data in excel format BusinessObjects serves the purpose.

I know BusinessObjects is capable of doing a lot more, but most of the users use it just to extract data and feed it into their Powerpoint charts.

Complicated logics can be put on to the BusinessObjects Universe making it easy for users just to select the objects and creating their own reports. These reports can be saved, scheduled or used in a dashboard.

If the users has licenses of Xcelsius, then they can leverage the Query as a web service to feed data to Xcelsius from the already existing BusinessObjects Universe.

BusinessObjects also has LiveOffice as a plugin which enables users to Import WebI report into excel without actually logging into InfoView.

QlikView is a completely different tool. There is no comparison between QlikView and BusinessObjects.

The first reply rightly says it you cant compare apple with bannana.

In QlikView the dashboard would be pre built by the developers, users can change the filters to do their analysis.

They cant really add more data on the fly as QlikView scripting is not that easy when large volumes of data and complicated logic comes in.

As far as the security is concerend both would be the same.

Rest all completely depends on the requirement.

Check the QlikView sample dashboard.

Blog:

http://chinmay.co/blog/qlikview-compared-to-other-bi-tools

Would appreciate if you send us a copy of your analysis 😄

Regards,

Chinmay

suniljain
Master
Master

Dear Chinmay,

Recently I completed One POC . In that POC There was a competition between Qlikview and SAP BO.

and After seeeing implementation in Both tool. Customer selected Qlikview as BI Tool instead of SAP BO.

Regards

Sunil Jain

Not applicable
Author

DataRoket has a QlikView connector for all BO Universe data.  Connecting directly, at the report level, in-memory and more.  Let us know if this meets your needs.  http://tinyurl.com/3har8tl

suniljain
Master
Master

can you post feature of datarocket connector ?