Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Named CALs & Session CALs

Hi,

Can someone explain how does Named CALs & Session CALs works? - In details

We know that once Named cals is up, session cals will be used? but how?

Says i have 10 named cals, 3 session cals.

20 users are given access to QV apps, but not all users have been connected.

So, what will happen when 10 users connnected to QV server and start using the appl?

and what will happen to the 11th connected user?

i saw there's some panel in QVEM, that we can assigned cals, but this can be manual or automatic or dynamic (if we checked the box). as soon as a user is connected, they will be assigned name cals, then i also see the x button, when u click it, it says quarantined until a certain time. what does it mean?

is session cals something we can manually assign to some user? or it just happens automatically?

and base on the number of users - 20, i obviously do not have enough lic? or i have? knowing that they will not all connect at the same time?

and will name cals expired? after a certain period? or it's the session cals that will expire?

Thanks if someone can clarify my doubts on the above...

22 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Rich,

Here are my answers:

• Basic security over documents is established as any other CAL.

Yes

• Session CALs respect section access for reduction of data as any other CAL would (includes Document CAL).

Yes

• If dynamic allocation of licenses is off. All users with NT access to a document would be granted a Session CAL if available. This one seems to be a bit of a conflict.

Yes. Any user with rights to access at least one QV application can use the Session CAL. There is no security that you implement directly over the licenses. Are you looking to create a list of users that would have rights to use a session CAL? This is not possible as far as I know.

Additionally, the Session CAL changed recently. A user can now occupy 1 Session CAL to open multiple documents.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply Karl.

Yes I was thinking that there would be a list of users with Session Cal rights. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Regards,

Rich

Not applicable
Author

Hi all,

I have a question regarding leasing licences from a server. We currently have 28 named licences, all of which are assigned. One user recently left the company and I was expecting his CAL to automatically expire after 30 days, as per detail on QlikView Start Page - Getting Started.

However, 30 days has now passed and his licence did not expire. A new user tried to connect but was refused access because there were no available licences.

I notice that the detail on the Start Page states a leased licence will expire if it has not been updated in 30 days, which is an automatic process. So what does 'updated' actually mean? How do I know if a licence has been updated?

I know I can manually delete a named licence, thus freeing it for another user, but isn't this suppose to be automatic?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

(currently using v10 SR1)

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

The license that is leased to the computer of the former employee so that he could use QlikView locally on his computer without being connected to the QlikView Server expires after 30 days, but the license assignation to the former employee on the QlikView Server can only be deleted manually.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the information.

Not applicable
Author

hi,

how do you lease licenses to the local computer.

In notre case, It worked in v9sr6, but since migrating to v10Sr, it does not work.

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

hi,

how do you lease licenses to the local computer.

In notre case, It worked in v9sr6, but since migrating to v10Sr, it does not work.

Thanks

mpbtejada
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

It was stated in the Qlikview Licensing Overview ppt that when 1 user opens 1 document, 1 session CAL is consumed and when 1 user opens 2 documents, 2 session CALs are consumed. Since a session CAL is a 1:1 ratio between CAL and documents, does it follow that when 2 users access the same document, only 1 session is consumed?

Thanks.

Not applicable
Author

Hi, I'm after a further clarification with regards to Extranet Session CALS.  I believe I heard in a presentation a few months ago that a customer can buy a set number of Extranet Session CALS which would allow unlimited incoming sessions to the Extranet Server.  Is this information correct?  and if so, what is the number of Extranet Session CALS that need to be purchased to allow this?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Marvin,

in QV 10 a user that has one sessin CAL can open more than one dicument.

That means:

1. when one user opens 2 Documents only one session CAL is used.
  2. when two users open one Document, two session CALs are in use
  3. and when two users open two different Documents also two session CALs are in use

Hope that makes it clearer.

Regards

Sabine