Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Beg for an advice .... How to become good in macro script?

I am struggling with qlikview from few days .... but I have to admit that I don't have a lot of documentation about Macro and VBScript in general except the file APIGUIDE....

What are the advice to get experience in VBscript ?

Thanks in advance ....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Also, if you are really keen to understand the basics... I can take you through the basics (I am no expert by any strech of imagination, but I can share my learnings). Let me know if you are interested, we can use TeamViewer over one of the weekend.

Good luck!

Cheers - DV

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I guess it's like always, you gain experience by doing.

But to get you started you could take classes, read good books (check out e.g. amazon) or look for some online tutorials (I would personally prefer last two).

And if you are crossing a macro here in the forum, don't stop until you are understanding how it is working. And try modifying the sample then.

Just move on, it will get only easier

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

I strongly agree with Stefan (swuehl) suggestions. Let me add my two cents... here are few things I have done to learn VB Scripting.

• VB Scripting is very similar to VB/ VBA. So I would recommend you start understanding object orientied programming. Probably look out for online tutorials. I come from VBA background, so it was easy for me to pickup VB Scripting and interacting with QV API.

• Try to understand the difference between Methods, Properties, Objects and Events. Once you understand this difference you need to learn debugging. Unfortunately, QV doesn't support VB Script debugging. However, you can use traditional MessageBox style debugging.

• Try to learn programming constructs like Conditional Statements, Loops and Functions. These are used very often in procedural programming.

• Most important : Subscribe to top community users. For example, I have subscribed to John Witherspoon, swuehl, Miguel Angel Baeyens and Erich Shiino. There are some users who specialize in VB Scripting/Macro based solutions. Look out for them and subscribe to their posts. I learn a lot this way.

• Once you understand the basics of VB Scripting try providing solutions on community. This way you are exposed to different situations. I try to do the same with my weak areas in QlikView.

I hope this helps!

Happy learning.

Cheers - DV

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Also, if you are really keen to understand the basics... I can take you through the basics (I am no expert by any strech of imagination, but I can share my learnings). Let me know if you are interested, we can use TeamViewer over one of the weekend.

Good luck!

Cheers - DV

Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much for your too much kind help

Thanks again.... I am going to practise and to follow your advice !!!

Grazie !

Cheers again