Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview server spesifications

Hi ,

I Would appreciate some on advice on harware specs for a qlikview server.

I have a new client on Qlikview and they asked me advice on wich of the following server specifications should they go for:

HP DL320 G6 Intel® Xeon® E5630 (4 core, 2.53 GHz, 12MB L3, 80W) 6Gb Ram

HP 500GB 3G SATA 7.2K RPM SFF HARD DRIVE

OR

HP DL320 G6 Intel® Xeon® E5630 (4 core, 2.53 GHz, 12MB L3, 80W) 6Gb Ram

HP 146GB 6G SAS 15K SFF DP Enterprise (3)

My concern is we need more ram !

or other suggestions.

This server will be the qlikview server - for a start can we put sql server on the same server, or should we go from the start with two servers one for SQL Server and a dedicated one for Qlikview ? This database will host information of 5 small to meduim hospitals - i see this project to grow over a year to add more and more info into the data warehouse(Sql server) and more Qlikview models .

Esimate about 2- 5 mil transactions per month

operating system

Software (Operating System)

Windows Server 2008 including Media Kit (32 Bit)

(Server Standard 2008R2)

Optional Backup Device

HP Ultrium 232 Internal Tape Drive

HP X5148 SC11Xe HBA G5 Kit

Would appreciate advice or even suggested specs for server.

thks so much

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

it is not possible to give an exact answer. Two things are important: The RAM that QV will need and the CPUs. You need CPU during calculation and when more and more users are concurrent online. A rule of thumb is about 10% RAM more per user. Your Ram depends only on your data. The structure of your data, the density, the cardinality. So for me one most important thing is the scalabilty of your system. The worst case is that the requirements are growing up and you can not extend your system.

With this in mind I think you can start with either HP-engines. But start in any case with Win 2008 64bit (!). With a 32bit OS you can adress max. 4GB. In reality the OS itself needs RAM, I/O-Buffering, and so on. And I wouldn't share the server with any other server-software, especially any database server. They need a lot of RAM as well.

Last not least contact your local sales-rep from QT or from your QT-Partner.

Regards, Roland

Not applicable
Author

Roland thank you for your reply - i will definitly use your advice.

Regards

Louw

Not applicable
Author

Hello Louw,

you are welcome. Don't hesitate to post again if there are additional questions.

RR

Not applicable
Author

Hi Roland,

We too are about to deploy QV and are trying to define the server CPU & RAM specs.

Could I ask you to clarify your comments? You say "about 10% RAM more per user" and go on to say "Ram depends only on your data. The structure of your data, the density, the cardinality."

Do you mean we need to add 10% of 4GB (400mb) for each user?

Could you give some indiaction of how much RAM would be required to analyse a 20GB data warehouse?

Lawrence

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

The data model takes up a certain amount to RAM which depends on what Roland mentions. Then on top of that each concurrent user is going to use a certain percentage of RAM that the charts they are generating need to use.

For an estimate, download the excel in the following post:

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/34806.aspx

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Karl. Useful spreadsheet.

Not applicable
Author

Was wondering if you still have the excel file still

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Please, keep in mind that this is a very rough estimate of the server you are going to need.

Karl