Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dimensionality Function and its types

Hi friends,

Can anybody helpme out what exactly is dimensionality and what that function does.. what are the types

I've gone through the manual but couldn't understand what it exactly does...

so please ensure that you say it in layman language with examples if possible as I'm very new to qlikview , so kindly do discuss it in detail.....

It would be a great help for me and would appreciate you time an concern in helping me out.....

Thanks a ton in advance

Regards

Anand

2 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Dimensionality() indicates the level of subtotals in pivot tables. For example, if you have a pivot table with dimensions A, B, C  and D,

the expressions will have a dimensionality of 5

subtotals for D will have a dimensionality of 4

subtotals for C will have a dimensionality of 3

subtotals for B will have a dimensionality of 2

subtotals for A will have a dimensionality of 1

the grand total will have a dimensionality of 0

This allows you to tailor the expression to the return the correct value for the totals if you need something other than simple subtotals.

That said - this is fairly advanced concept. Try to understand the basics before diving into advanced aggregations and complex expressions.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Thanks JOnathan,

It would be a gr8 help for me if you can give example along, we are having group sessions where in which I was assigned with this topic ,which i need to research and present, so kindly help me out in briefing the same with example and the key purpose of this function.

Thanks for the helpful answer once again !!

Rgds,

Anand.