Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beanmachine
Partner - Contributor III

Extracting data from MS Project 2010 mpp file into QV

Hi All

I have a client that needs to extract information from an MS Project 2010 mpp file, along with data from other sources into a QV model. I wonder if anyone has been able to do this? I have done the usual searches for information but there is surprisingly little out there. Apparently there used to be an OLE DB provider from MS but this has been discontinued since before Project 2008.

I do not have Project installed and I do not want to have it installed as the work will be done on a server.

If anyone has any information on how this can be done please let me know.

Thanks

BeanMachine

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

MS Project can be handled, in 3 different ways

1.      If  using versions earlier then MS Project 2007, ODBCconnector is available through which we can extract.

2.      If  using MS Project 2007 you can save your work on a format useable by earlier versions of MS Project, and then these files could be accessible via OBDC. Because OBDC is eliminated in MS Project 2007 because ofsome security issues, 2007 uses SOAP over Http and Https. SOAP is in XMLformat( access able through QV)

3.      Or  upgrade to either EPM(Enterprise Project Management) or MS Project Server 2007 or ProjectProfessional 2007, and the files can be saved a XML, that  is readable byQV.

4.      Or they can use visual reports for OBDC Solution, that can be saved as text files(also readable by QV).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable

MS Project can be handled, in 3 different ways

1.      If  using versions earlier then MS Project 2007, ODBCconnector is available through which we can extract.

2.      If  using MS Project 2007 you can save your work on a format useable by earlier versions of MS Project, and then these files could be accessible via OBDC. Because OBDC is eliminated in MS Project 2007 because ofsome security issues, 2007 uses SOAP over Http and Https. SOAP is in XMLformat( access able through QV)

3.      Or  upgrade to either EPM(Enterprise Project Management) or MS Project Server 2007 or ProjectProfessional 2007, and the files can be saved a XML, that  is readable byQV.

4.      Or they can use visual reports for OBDC Solution, that can be saved as text files(also readable by QV).

beanmachine
Author

Hi saad khan

Thanks very much for the comprehensive answer.  Unfortunately, this is work for a client so I cannot dictate any upgrade but I will investigate the SOAP route.

BeanMachine

quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Saad,

Could you please give me some details on how to setup the ODBC connection ? I am using MS Project 2002 standard edition ( standalone , no server edition ) and Qlikview 8.5 developer edition. I tried to open the ODBC connection on the qlikview script editor  but I don´t see any MS Project "connector" there...the only datasources I see are : dBASE Files, Excel Files, ICAS Production, IIib Development, MS Access Database. When clicking the Create ODBC Source button at the bottom of the menuI don´t know what to do next to be honest.

Appreciate any guidance here.

I even tried the OLE DB Connection....where I can see an OLE DB Provider called Microsoft Project 10.0 OLE DB Provider...but when hitting Next it looks like you need to provide details of a server connection ....and what I just have is a MS Project project file ( mpp ) stored in my laptop to which I would like to connect from Qlikview.

Thanks a lot

Enrique

Not applicable

Dear Quiquehm,

Unfortunately .mpp files cannot be connected directly with QV. you might have to create your own connector for which QVSource could be helpful..

Alternatively if you could export the tasks and details in .mpp file to access or excel or to txt file or even in xml. All these formats could direclty be accessible with QV.

There are now more better versions availble of QV but non of them would directly connect to .mpp file unless one creates his own connector.

Regards,

Saad.

Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I know this thread is kind of old, but possibly you can help me.

Currently we have a MS Project Server 2013 on-site which is connected to QlikView via OLEDB.

It should be moved to the Office 365 cloud.

Does anyone of you know or has experience, if it is still possible to load data from the MS Project Server once it is in the Office 365 cloud?

maria_cecilia_l

Hi Corinna

Sorry I cant Help you, but you can help me.

Can you share with us the oledb for the MS Project Server 2013?

thank you in advanced.

Maria Cecilia