Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Understanding the dimensionality function in qlikview

Hi to all,

From qlikview help,QLIKVIEW reference manual,google,QLIKVIEW community and with the book QLIKVIEW 11 for developers, i understand some thing about Dimensionality(),but i would like to understand the dimensionality() completely and how to use it in different scenario’s.I tried a lot to understand the dimensionality() and it’s scenario’s.

Prior to this posting, someone told to me that” In pivot table, based on expansion level, calculations has to happen. That expansion level no is given by dimensionality”

And i saw the below post in qlikview community.

1. Ex.

Dimensionality() indicates the level of subtotals in pivot tables. For example, if you have a pivot table with dimensions A, B, C  and D,

the expressions will have a dimensionality of 5

subtotals for D will have a dimensionality of 4

subtotals for C will have a dimensionality of 3

subtotals for B will have a dimensionality of 2

subtotals for A will have a dimensionality of 1                             

the grand total will have a dimensionality of 0

from the above 2 i didn’t understand the dimensionality() completely.

Can any one please helpme by explaining the dimensionality() with best example in one scenario in the layman language as early as possible.Because many interviewer’s are asking about dimensionality().

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not sure if I can explain this any better. With what part of the example do you have problems understanding in particular?

I would suggest just to play around with dimensionality() function [and with secondarydimensionality() using pivot tables, too]. Just create a straight table chart or pivot chart with few dimensions and enter dimensionality() as expression.