Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Calculation of Hidden Objects

Hi everybody!

I always knew that QlikVIew only calculates visible objects, and that hidden objects are not being recalculated as long as they are hidden. The Reference Manual sort of confirms my understanding with the following statement (page 908):

"Expressions in charts and tables that are defined in the expressions dialog are only calculated when the object is visible and data changes."

And yet, when I open Sheet Properties, I see that a lot of Calc Time was used for hidden objects. I know that calculated Captions, Show conditions and Calculation conditions are being calculated with every click, and this time it can't be that. I clearly see the full amount of resources being used before the object becomes visible.

Can someone shed some light? Is it a new feature, or can it be regulated with a setting?HiddenObjects.PNG

appreciate your thoughts,

Oleg Troyansky

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Have these hidden objects been hidden since you've opened the document? Or have they been shown at some time and been hidden again later? The calc time might just be the most recent calc time available.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

No, I'm positive that the objects have been hidden from the beginning...

Not applicable

Hi Oleg, I also see this behaviour in my application. I see this behaviour for

A chart that is a part of container and was previously opened, but now it is in hidden state (both container and chart). For other objects which are not part of container have Calc Time only when they are visible, whether they have shown previously or not.

I am in a process of performance improvement and these facts are very important.

Is there any other way to check which chart is hogging my CPU other than the visible charts?

Hi Experts - Please provide some advice.

Regards,

Anosh

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Anosh,

the easiest way to check is to look at the Sheet Properties and see what objects take up substantial Calc Time.

I heard reports that all the objects in a Container are always calculated, no matter what. I haven't tested it by myself though...

For hidden objects, I'm pretty confident that hidden objects are being calculated even while thet stay hidden. As a work around, I'm populating the same show condition in the calculation condition, and this way my objects are only calculated when they become visible.

thanks!

Oleg

Not applicable

Hi Oleg,

Are you pretty much sure that hidden objects are being calculated even though they are hidden (without any calculation condition)?

May be only the hidden conditions are being calculated thats why you see some calc time in sheet properties.

I am using Qlikview 11 SR1 and I don't see any hidden objects having Calc time only for containers object. May be it is a defect which Qlikview have rectified in new version. Which QV version you are using?

Thanks,

Anosh

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Anosh,

If you look at the picture that I posted initially, you can see that the hidden objects were using as much as 8 sec of Calc. Time. I don't think it could be caused by the calculation conditions alone... However, now I'm trying the same with the recent version 11.0 SR2, and I can't see the same behavior, so you might be right that it was a temporary glitch that was fixed. The initial picture was taken on ver. 11.0, not sure what release - could be IR...