Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Current Month and Previous Month

Hi All,

I need to take current and previous month sales based on the selected month and year

My Sales Month  looks like this 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12

My Sales Yerar looks like this 2011,2012,2013

To calculate current month sales i used this expression below (based on selected month),

=

sum({<SALES_MONTH={"$(=max(SALES_MONTH))"}>} $(vSales)

It works but when i try to calculate the previous month using the expression below, value is coming as "0"

=

sum({<SALES_MONTH={"$(=max(SALES_MONTH)-1)"}>} $(vSales)

Kindly guide where i'm wrong in this expression

Thanks,

Selva

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create a numeric month field in the script: num(month(date#(MonthName,'MMM'))) as MonthNumber

You'll also need an incremental month field because the monthnum of Jan is 1 and the previous month is not 0, but 12 in the previous year. You can add a field like this: Year*12+num(month(date#(MonthName,'MMM'))) as PeriodNumber. You can then use the PeriodNumber field in the set analysis expressions:

Current: sum({<Sales_Year=,Sales_Month=,PeriodNumber={$(=max(PeriodNumber))>} Sales)

Previous Month: sum({<Sales_Year=,Sales_Month=,PeriodNumber={$(=max(PeriodNumber)-1)>} Sales)

Same Month previous year: sum({<Sales_Year=,Sales_Month=,PeriodNumber={$(=max(PeriodNumber)-12)>} Sales)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

for current--

sum({<SalesMonth={"$(=(SalesMonth))"},SalesYear={"$(=(SalesYear))"}>}Sales)

for previous--

sum({<SalesMonth={"$(=(SalesMonth)-1)"},SalesYear={"$(=(SalesYear))"}>}Sales)

somenathroy
Creator III
Creator III

PFA. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Som

Not applicable
Author

Hi Som,

Suppose my Sales month look like this ( Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr etc to Dec)

How to calculate the previous year.

Thanks,

Selva

Sokkorn
Master
Master

Hi Selva,

Your expresion look fine. Can you tell me the definition of $(vSales)?

Regards,

Sokkorn

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Create a numeric month field in the script: num(month(date#(MonthName,'MMM'))) as MonthNumber

You'll also need an incremental month field because the monthnum of Jan is 1 and the previous month is not 0, but 12 in the previous year. You can add a field like this: Year*12+num(month(date#(MonthName,'MMM'))) as PeriodNumber. You can then use the PeriodNumber field in the set analysis expressions:

Current: sum({<Sales_Year=,Sales_Month=,PeriodNumber={$(=max(PeriodNumber))>} Sales)

Previous Month: sum({<Sales_Year=,Sales_Month=,PeriodNumber={$(=max(PeriodNumber)-1)>} Sales)

Same Month previous year: sum({<Sales_Year=,Sales_Month=,PeriodNumber={$(=max(PeriodNumber)-12)>} Sales)

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Gysbert

somenathroy
Creator III
Creator III

Dear Selva,

In that case, still you can make a DATE using your table fields.

Like Date(Date#('2012-Jan-01','YYYY-MMM-DD'),'DD/MM/YYYY')

Regards,

Som