Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III

Does anyone have an idea of why Dimensionality() does not work with the Expression Conditional?

The Pivot Table expression conditional option does not recognize "Dimensionality()".

For example, I would like hide a column when Dimensionality() = 1.  As the user expands the pivot table to the next dimension then the calculated column will show.

Am I missing something?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The conditional display expression can only work at the chart level, not at row level. Expanding a dimension can be done per dimension value. And it's not possible to show a column for some dimension values, but not for others that aren't expanded. A column can only be shown or hidden entirely. So it makes sense that the expression can use calculations that give a result at the chart level.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

The conditional display expression can only work at the chart level, not at row level. Expanding a dimension can be done per dimension value. And it's not possible to show a column for some dimension values, but not for others that aren't expanded. A column can only be shown or hidden entirely. So it makes sense that the expression can use calculations that give a result at the chart level.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Here is a thought.

dimentionality.png

If you closely look at the result of the dimensionality() function, would notice that it calculates row wise. Therefore, for different rows, values could be different based on the expansion. And probably it is established that we can't hide a column on row condition. Hope this makes sense why we can't use dimensionality() function to hide a column.

athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your feedback.  I see your point.

It would seem that if values are "always available" (which they are in my case) then the dimensionality() could be used to show or hide columns.

Maybe a feature??!!