Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Dictionary for SQL Server

There used to be a data dictionary .qvw that someone developed for SQL Server but I can't find it. It was several years ago that I saw it here in the Community. Please let me know if you know where I can find it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Brian,

I have been meaning to upload my SQL Server schema viewer for a while, but want to put some more finishing touches to it first.  Here it is in a nearly completed state.  I hope it is useful to you.

I will post a link to the finished document when I have uploaded it.

Cheers,

Steve

View solution in original post

9 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Brian,

I have been meaning to upload my SQL Server schema viewer for a while, but want to put some more finishing touches to it first.  Here it is in a nearly completed state.  I hope it is useful to you.

I will post a link to the finished document when I have uploaded it.

Cheers,

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Excellent, thanks Steve!

BTW, my goal is to eventually allow designated users to enter comments about tables & columns by writing those comments, along with appropriate key of course, to an Excel or text file. This file will be loaded whenever the app gets reloaded, but it'll also perform a partial reload so that comments are visable right away. I'm already doing something very similar in another app where customer support reps want to be able to write a status and some comments on orders.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Brian,

I did a similar solution in ASP and SQL Server, where a user could navigate the schema then write metada back to the database about each object. It would be possible to replicate this, I would imagine, with an Extension linking out to an ASP page.

Excel would also work.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey Steve, did you ever finish this up?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Brian,

The ASP/SQL solution was in a former life, before I discovered QlikView.  I've never had a go at doing the same in QlikView - as yet.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I was referring to the SQL Server Schema Viewer .qvw file you uploaded. I took your message to mean you were putting some finishing touches on that app.

- Brian

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Brian,

Yes, that app is still lacking those finishing touches!  Hopefully one day I will have it in a state I am happy to upload it to Qlik Community.  In the mean time I will be happy to send you a copy directly.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I’ll message you my email address.

- Brian