Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Uses for Left Join and Concatenate in tables?

Hi all,

I understand the difference between a Left Join and Concatenate in QlikView, but I am having difficulty understanding when or when not to use the to options when it comes to the two options.

Concatenate appends data from one table to another. Thus it is good for combining multiple tables.

What are the risks when using the Concatenate function over a Join for example? Could you concatenate to completely different tables where there is no association?

I understand Left Join more strongly in this case where you want to take all the data from one table and any joining data from the right table so I guess I am weak on using the Concatenate function.

Also, from the tests I have done Concatenate does not seem to be different to Outer Joins where you use the function between two tables with similar key field.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

Concatenate: I often use it when I have different fact tables in the same qlikview doc (another way, link table)

You can always concatenate tables (also if they are completely different), just use concatenate ....

Concatenate: you add rows

Left join: you add columns

see last two for concatenate and outer join

thanks to Enmanuel Santana

join.png

View solution in original post

3 Replies
martynlloyd
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi, one difference between concatenate and outer join, is that you can concatenate completely unrelated data, ie not key dependant.  (you may want to include a fact type filed in this instance).

maxgro
MVP
MVP

Concatenate: I often use it when I have different fact tables in the same qlikview doc (another way, link table)

You can always concatenate tables (also if they are completely different), just use concatenate ....

Concatenate: you add rows

Left join: you add columns

see last two for concatenate and outer join

thanks to Enmanuel Santana

join.png

Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for your replies, I understand it now!