cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III

Expression/Dimension

So I have an expression that should look at a Unit ( #, %, Days, etc) and realise that if the Unit is a % to change the Target number (97% from excel document cell) to 97% in a QV straight chart table. It changes the value which is great.

However, I dont want the output to look like this.

TargetMetricTarget Metric
90%40%90%50%

I want to have there to be two dimensions.

Target appears as 90% but it appears as 0.9 and other values appear as decimals.

This will work for me if I use it as an expression but I dont want a repetitive view of Target Metric Target Metric,

SHould read as Target Metric Metric Metric.

Any help appreciated.

<code>

=if(

(if(Unit = '%', num(avg(Target), '#,##0%'),

if(Unit = 'Days', num(avg(Target), '#,##0'),

num(sum(Target), '#,##0'))))

>=

(if(Unit = '%', num(avg(Target), '#,##0%'),

if(Unit = 'Days', num(avg(Target), '#,##0'),

num(sum(Target), '#,##0')))),

vGreen, vRed)

</code>

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Hi - i put in this expression on the Target Dimension.  It seems to work...  are you not getting this ?

=if(Metric='% of role', num(Target/100,'#,##0.0%'),  Target)

Capture.PNG.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

If this expression is being used in a 'calculated dimension' you usally need to wrap the chart aggregation function (sum , avg etc..) with an aggr()

IE:

change:

sum(Sales)

To:

aggr( sum(Sales),  Year)

Where Year is the dimension whose values form the aggregation point for the chart to calculate the expression.

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Apologies,  I have explained myself incorrectly.

capture.jpg

I've enabled these values in my expression for each month, (Jan-Dec) the Metric Value and Target will show repetively with the correct values. Thats all good but I dont want Target to be shown every month. Rather I want it to be shown once as a column and then Metric Value is to be repeated each month (Jan-Dec).

So when I add Target and Metric Values in my dimensions, the Target does not appear as a % but rather as a decimal. Not all values have % value though so no point in adding this function using the Presentation tab.

capture.jpg

The code below works if I put it in the expression but does not work if I put it in the Target dimension.

<code>

if(Unit = '%', num(avg(Target), '#,##0%'),

num(sum(Target), '#,##0'))

</code>

I've tried the aggr() function to no avail also.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Can you share a QVW that demonstrates the problem and I can tweak a solution ?

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hey.

Thanks for the assistance.

I've added some dummy inline test data. The first line of date 'hrs per staff'  figures wont change.

I'm importing the data using excel and the % of role and overall figures should appear as percentages.

In my original qvw, when I add Target as an expression, the figure will appear as a %. However, this appears as

MetricCalendarTargetCalendarTarget
xxxxxx%xxxx%xxx%xxx%
xxxxxx%xxxx%xxx%xxx%

What I am trying to achieve is by using the dimensions, Metric, Target, Calender

MetricTargetCalendar CalendarCalendar
xxxxxx
0.9697%98%99%

but the Target appears as a decimal but remember, not every target is a percentage so I cannot use the presentation tab to change to all percentages.

Hope this makes sense.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Hi - i put in this expression on the Target Dimension.  It seems to work...  are you not getting this ?

=if(Metric='% of role', num(Target/100,'#,##0.0%'),  Target)

Capture.PNG.png

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks. It worked