Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using Bookmarks

How can I use the bookmarks within sheets of a single QVW document? For example, I've multiple tabs on my .QVW application tab a1, b1 and c1.

I make few selections in a1 and then I move on to tab b1. As soon as I click on b1 sheet, I want all the selection in a1 to get cleared and start with brand new selection for sheet b1. However, when I come back to tab a1, I want to restore the previous selection made in tab a1 and also clear all from b1.

To put it simple, How can I preserve the selections everytime from tab to tab and reapply them when I come back to the respective tab?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

You should be able to create a document bookmark (so any other user may select it) for each tab you want to keep selections, and add a new trigger OnActivateSheet on the sheet properties, Actions, Bookmarks, Apply Bookmark, and add a new action, OnLeaveSheet, Selection, Clear All.

If you want the users to be able to change the selections in the bookmark, then instead of using Apply Bookmark you should create a Replace Bookmark OnLeaveSheet, before clearing all, so all current selections are stored in that bookmark.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

You should be able to create a document bookmark (so any other user may select it) for each tab you want to keep selections, and add a new trigger OnActivateSheet on the sheet properties, Actions, Bookmarks, Apply Bookmark, and add a new action, OnLeaveSheet, Selection, Clear All.

If you want the users to be able to change the selections in the bookmark, then instead of using Apply Bookmark you should create a Replace Bookmark OnLeaveSheet, before clearing all, so all current selections are stored in that bookmark.

Hope this helps.

Not applicable
Author

Part of it can be done by actions where we can have action OnLeave sheet (Create a bookmark) and OnActivate Sheet (Apply bookamrk). However, the problem that I am facing with this approach is, if I go back to sheet 'a1' and make further selections I want my bookmark to be updated with new selections I just made. And that doesn't happen. Is it this acheivable? update the bookmark every time you make or clear up selection you previously made?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Miguel ! Your solution seems to work fine. I'll post what I've done incase anyone is looking for it.

As per your suggestion, I created one document bookmark and made it hidden. (Document bookmark Id can be obtained from Bookmarks > More or Ctrl+Shift+B). Once I got the Bookmark Id; I did the following set of actions for all 15 tabs on my document.

For example, sheet 1 : OnActivate Sheet (Apply bookmark - Doc Bookmark ID) and OnLeaveSheet (Replace bookmark - Doc Bookmark ID).

For the odd sheet (which requires clearing up all selection on other 15 tabs) I did the following

OnActivate Sheet (Clear All) and OnLeave Sheet (Clear All).

So when I am on any of the 15 sheets and I make any selections, and then I move to the odd sheet my document bookmark gets updated with the recent selection and then it clears all selections. When I go back to any of those 15 sheets from the odd sheet it will bring back my last / previous selection.

Not applicable
Author

Miguel,

The solution here works fine on local machine, but as soon as I go on Internet Explorer it doesn't. Do you know why ? Do I have to set any property to make document level bookmark work on IE? Thanks for any input.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Make sure you have checked, when you create the bookmark, that it is a Document Bookmark and it can be used by other users. Open the document in the Desktop version and check in the Bookmarks menu.

On the server side, go to the Enterprise Management Console, System, Setup, QlikView Servers, Documents and check "Allow Server Collaboration" and "Allow Anonymous Bookmarks server collaboration".

Hope that helps.

Not applicable
Author

I followed all of the above already adn just to make sure I did the same twice. It did not work as expected. Document bookmarks still won't work on IE through server and they work fine on stand alone desktop.

Not applicable
Author

I have the same issue as you described, did you find a solution?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Document bookmarks cannot be modified in a server enviroment except for the developers (that is, not opening on server).

User bookmarks are, and the license (SBE doesn't allow Collaboration) may affect to that.

Hope that helps.

Vidit
Creator
Creator

Hi Nims,

you aer doign it right.just do 1 more step, OnLeave sheet after you have created the bookmark, do a  replace bookmark and give it the same bookmark id. This will save the latest selections and store them in already created bookmark. its working fine for me.

Leo