Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

OLEDB Vs ODBC????

Hi All,

Can anybody explain me when to use OLEDB & ODBC? Is there any protocol to use the same?

Thanks & Regards,

Anand B N

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Anand ,

I think this may give you some insights :

There are some advantages to using an OLE DB connection over an ODBC connection. Firstly, with OLE DB, your connection string along with credentials stays with your QlikView document, whereas with ODBC you will have to set up a User/System DSN(in ODBC Administrator Control Panel Applet) and then reference this DSN in the QlikView load script. The other advantage to OLE DB is quite simply that it is newer technology.

Regards,

Bhushan N

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Anand ,

I think this may give you some insights :

There are some advantages to using an OLE DB connection over an ODBC connection. Firstly, with OLE DB, your connection string along with credentials stays with your QlikView document, whereas with ODBC you will have to set up a User/System DSN(in ODBC Administrator Control Panel Applet) and then reference this DSN in the QlikView load script. The other advantage to OLE DB is quite simply that it is newer technology.

Regards,

Bhushan N

Not applicable
Author

Hi Anand Nagaraj,

I think ODBC connection is much faster when compared to OLE DB and also it is secured. Some one please correct me if I am worng.

jchoucq
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello !

In fact, that's OLED DB which is much faster !

When it's possible, i think it's much better to use OLE DB connection !

Johann

sunil2288
Creator III
Creator III

If OLE DB driver is available it should be used ahead of an ODBC connection.The use of OLE DB negates the need for setting up an ODBC connection. OLE DB simply requires one setup step within QlikView.

ODBC is Open Data Base Connectivity, which is a connection method to data sources.It requires that you set up a data source ( DSN) using an SQL driver or other driver if connecting to other database types. Most database systems support ODBC.So it is user friendly

But OLEDB is the successor to ODBC, a set of software components that allow a "front end" such as GUI based on VB, C++, Access or whatever to connect with a back endsuch as SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, mySQL etc. OLEDB components offer much better performance than the older ODBC.

Not applicable
Author

In v.10 there are still problems of using OLEDB.

If you within your load script decide to create a temp table on SQL Server - your connection will crash if it was OLEDB. They promissed to fix it in SR1.

(Example:

SQL Select *
Into #tmpTbl
From SQLTbl )

Not applicable
Author

ODBC is Open Data Base Connectivity, which is a connection method to data sources and other things. It requires that you set up a data source, or what's called a DSN using an SQL driver or other driver if connecting to other database types. Most database systems support ODBC.

OLE is Object Linking and Embedding. OLEDB is partly distinguished from OLE itself, now called "automation".

OLEDB is the successor to ODBC, a set of software components that allow a QlikView to connect with a back end such as SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, mySQL etal. In many cases the OLEDB components offer much better performance than the older ODBC.

OLEDB is a different type of data provider that came about with MS's Universal Data Access in 1996 and does not require that you set up a DSN.

Not applicable
Author

I can't speak to temp tables, but in our installation OLE DB to SQL 2K8 stopped working recently, and SR1 has not fixed it. After two weeks of ineffectual floundering, support is now suggesting that they "don't support the ODBC and OLE DB driver" and will leave us hanging.

Anyone considering purchasing QlikView should consider this point: you'll need to set up an ODBC DSN on every computer using the QlikView client, and you won't have access to any OLE DB functionality. That's assuming that ODBC works for you.

bumin
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

and ODBC is really slow on DB2.

it took me 12 min to load a table with 400,000 lines

at other customers with similar data on SQL-Server it takes 1-2 min.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

No OLE DB work much faster than ODBC..and its easier to use also compare than ODBC. Since this is net technology it supports also in QlikView easily.

Best

Skumar