Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TaraKnichel
Contributor II
Contributor II

"use manual commit mode"in Git Settings is not available

Hi everyone,

We are currently facing an issue with the "Use manual commit mode" option in the "Project properties" under "Git Settings" in Talend Studio.

The option is not selectable! It is preventing us from activating manual commit mode when pushing new developments of our Talend job to GitBlit (see the attached screenshot).

We are using Talend Studio R2023-10, with the "https://update.talend.com/Studio/8/updates/R2023-10" configured in the "Update URL" under "Update Settings" in "User Preferences."

Do you have any idea  why this option is not selectable and any solution to how to activate the "Use manual commit mode" option?

Any help would be very appricated.

Best regaurds,

Tara

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaraKnichel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I have found a solution to write commits in the Commit window in Git perspective. However, it still has its limitations, listed below:

A- Activating this was not intuitive and required placing the update button everywhere, many times (See the screenshot).
B- The setting on TAC should be on Commit mode (Unlocked item), Lock mode (Manual), and unselected Custom commit messages to be able to use this commit window. As a result, we have to unlock each job before we develop it, which is not user-friendly.
C- In the changes window, you can only see the changes on jobs. You don't see the changes on metadata. This lacks functionality, I would say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The option "Use manual commit mode" in Git Setting in Project properties is still not selectable on our instance. Even after adding the parameter -Dstudio.client.type=tic in the Talend-Studio-win-x86_64.ini which was the suggested solution of Talend Support Team and should work for some systems.

I hope this thread helps others. If you have better solutions, please add them below.

Best wishes,
Tara

TaraKnichel_0-1708332978463.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Xiaodi_Shi
Support
Support

Hello,

Are you trying to connect to Talend Cloud ?

This is indeed only available with Talend Cloud not on-prem (TAC).
There is actual discussion to try to get exactly the same mode for GIT maybe in the future for both TAC/TMC, using certainly manual everywhere. (no date planned yet).

https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/8.0/studio-user-guide/activating-manual-git-commit-mode

https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/Cloud/labels-on-talend-help-center/availability-available-in

Best regards

Sabrina

TaraKnichel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hello Sabrina,

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

Does this really mean that Talen on-prem users currently do NOT have the ability to write a personalized commit before pushing the changes to Git? If so, how are they currently managing their work effectively? Are there any best practices or workarounds you could share with me?

Because using the "custom commit message" option on TAC results in frequent pop-ups of the commit window during the development of Talend jobs, which is kind of annoying to be honest.

Best regards,
Tara

Xiaodi_Shi
Support
Support

Hello,

By default, when working on a remote project your changes are automatically committed to Git. When you are connected to Talend Cloud, however, you can activate the manual Git commit mode and manage your changes in Talend Studio before committing them to Git and pushing them to the remote server.
And also because it's totally not compatible with the way of TMC to use in TAC.
TAC has his own system of management of commit setup inside TAC itself.
There is actual discussion to try to get exactly the same mode for GIT maybe in the future for both TAC/TMC, using certainly manual everywhere. but not planned yet.

Best regards

Sabrina

TaraKnichel
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I have found a solution to write commits in the Commit window in Git perspective. However, it still has its limitations, listed below:

A- Activating this was not intuitive and required placing the update button everywhere, many times (See the screenshot).
B- The setting on TAC should be on Commit mode (Unlocked item), Lock mode (Manual), and unselected Custom commit messages to be able to use this commit window. As a result, we have to unlock each job before we develop it, which is not user-friendly.
C- In the changes window, you can only see the changes on jobs. You don't see the changes on metadata. This lacks functionality, I would say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The option "Use manual commit mode" in Git Setting in Project properties is still not selectable on our instance. Even after adding the parameter -Dstudio.client.type=tic in the Talend-Studio-win-x86_64.ini which was the suggested solution of Talend Support Team and should work for some systems.

I hope this thread helps others. If you have better solutions, please add them below.

Best wishes,
Tara

TaraKnichel_0-1708332978463.png