Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
valpassos
Creator III
Creator III

Accessing parent attributes by the child's eyes

Hi community!

I feel like I'm in a sort of modelling pit, but I believe this would have a very straightforward solution.
I'm trying to model the following scenario/relationships:

comm1.PNG

I have a Product table with hundreds of attributes, in which Type is one of them. I have one certain Type of product that links the Product to a Master Product - like an aggregator. Imagine this type of Product is an Image that links to a MasterProduct type called Presentation (so, an Image goes into a Presentation). This MasterProduct (Local or Global) is exactly like a Product, so I'm only doing an ApplyMap directly in the Product table.

But this only covers the LocalProduct-LocalMasterProduct relationship.
I have yet another aggregator at an higher level, GlobalMasterProduct, which is like a parent of the LocalMasterProduct and grandparent of the LocalProduct, exactly like in the image.

What I want is, when I select a LocalProduct, I want to have access to all the GlobalProducts. So, I want to count 2 distinct images at Local level and 4 distinct images at Global level, either seeing by Local or Global attributes.

Right now, I have everything collapsed in the Product table, like this:

Product:
LocalProduct_KEY,
ApplyMap(...) AS LocalMasterProduct_KEY
ApplyMap(...) AS GlobalMasterProduct_KEY

So, how can I access the GlobalProducts when viewing at LocalProduct level? How should the GlobalProduct table be created? Could you please guide me in some direction, please?

Thank you in advance!,
Lisa

Labels (1)
4 Replies
valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Would someone like to jump in and offer some insight? 🙂

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I could really use your input on this, no matter how small you think it would be! 🙂

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Ok, so here it goes what I got at the moment.

I have a mapping table that gives me how many children (Global Products) the parent (Global Master Product) has:

MAPPING LOAD

GlobalMasterProduct_KEY

,COUNT(GlobatTable;lProduct_KEY) AS [# Global Products]

FROM MasterProductTable;

I then do an ApplyMap() in my fact table, where the GlobalMasterProduct_KEY will be the parent of my  LocalMasterProduct_KEY.

But I cannot sum up this metric on the front-end, because it works as a dimension. I'm doing an AGGR() over an ONLY()  to show some number (like MAX([# Global Products]), but what I actually want (and what makes sense) is the sum of all the GlobalProducts, and, when I filter by LocalMasterProduct, I'm given the sum of GlobalProducts for that specific LocalMasterProduct.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks!,

Lisa

valpassos
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I'm still struggling with this issue... Doesn't anyone want to take a shot? Suggesting some kind of approach 🙂

Appreciated!