Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkH1
Contributor II
Contributor II

Data load editor, handle null values in mapping

Hi all,

In my data load editor script I use a mapping like this:

[activeMapping]:
MAPPING LOAD * INLINE
[
activeMapping-FROM,activeMapping-TO
1,Yes
0,No
];
[table1]:
LOAD
APPLYMAP( 'activeMapping', [active]) AS [active];

This works as expected but may data also contains NULL values or empty strings for the active field. How can I map these to (for instance) 'unknown' ?

TIA, Mark.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoWedel

If there are no other possible [active] values than 1 and 0, then you can just add  'unknown' as third (default) parameter to the ApplyMap() function:

APPLYMAP( 'activeMapping', [active], 'unknown')

otherwise everything besides 1 and 0 would be mapped to  'unknown' as well, i.e. not only the NULL values.

But based on the field name active and values 1 and 0 most likely there are no other values anyways?

hope this helps

Marco

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MarcoWedel

If there are no other possible [active] values than 1 and 0, then you can just add  'unknown' as third (default) parameter to the ApplyMap() function:

APPLYMAP( 'activeMapping', [active], 'unknown')

otherwise everything besides 1 and 0 would be mapped to  'unknown' as well, i.e. not only the NULL values.

But based on the field name active and values 1 and 0 most likely there are no other values anyways?

hope this helps

Marco

MarkH1
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Marco, that worked. In this case active can only be 0, 1 or undefined (null). I found out there is another option: in the load section do something like If(IsNull([active]), 'unknown', APPLYMAP( 'activeMapping', [active])) AS [active];
But your solution is cleaner.

Mark.

MarcoWedel

Glad it worked.

Please close your thread by accepting a solution if your question is answered.

thanks