Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eug
Contributor II
Contributor II

Download to Data for Straight Tables: Table formatting feature returns Dual Field as numbers... not text

Hi there

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but when I "Download to Data" a Straight Table that has a Dual Field as a Dimension, the App displays the Text (as desired) but the downloaded table in Excel using the Table formatting feature shows the Number (used for sorting)

Is this a known "issue"?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

According to the documentation, for formatted export "Dual fields that have both qText and qNum with no formatting are exported as number." I'm not sure why, but it seems that's intentional or at least known.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/May2022/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/DataExport/export-data.ht...

View solution in original post

Or
MVP
MVP

I'm going to venture a completely uneducated guess that this is intended to deal with numbers that were not explicitly formatted. If you read a number from a data source and you haven't explicitly formatted it, you've ended up with a dual type that has no formatting on either the number or the text, but your expectation would still be that it be treated as a number when exported. That said, this is strictly guesswork and you'd need someone in the know for a definitive answer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

According to the documentation, for formatted export "Dual fields that have both qText and qNum with no formatting are exported as number." I'm not sure why, but it seems that's intentional or at least known.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/May2022/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/DataExport/export-data.ht...

Eug
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks Or.  Appreciate your speedy response.  I see Qlik has covered this (and themselves) here. 

However, it does not make sense why this would be the case.  Could anyone help with an explanation?

Or
MVP
MVP

I'm going to venture a completely uneducated guess that this is intended to deal with numbers that were not explicitly formatted. If you read a number from a data source and you haven't explicitly formatted it, you've ended up with a dual type that has no formatting on either the number or the text, but your expectation would still be that it be treated as a number when exported. That said, this is strictly guesswork and you'd need someone in the know for a definitive answer.

Eug
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks again, Or.  A very helpful explanation.

Hoping "someone in the know" can provide "a definitive answer".

Smandar_Qlik
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know any ways to remove that

Smandar_Qlik_0-1707222743207.png

pop-up of table formatting?