Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdaniels-obrien
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Execute a stored procedure from Qlik Sense without loading data

Hi, 

I would like to execute a stored procedure in Qlik before I load data from another stored proc. Right now, my load script connects to the database then uses:

[MyTable]:

SQL exec [my stored procedure] 'my parameter 1', 'my parameter 2', 'my parameter 3';

I receive the error: Unable to get column information for the fields that are used in the query: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have checked the QvOdbcConnectorPackage.exe.config found in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Qlik\Custom Data\QvOdbcConnectorPackage and can confirm that the allow non select queries is set to True.  

Could someone provide me with a solution for executing this stored proc in Qlik without needing to load data?

Labels (4)
1 Reply
SeekTheLight
Contributor II
Contributor II

I wrestled with this a bit. 

Whenever you call a stored procedure, Qlik expects to load data into a Qlik table from that procedure.  So have each stored procedure return a table of some kind.  If  you don't need the returned table, just drop the data on the floor.

My solution (because I could edit a procedure that did not return a value), was to return a table.  Using SQL Server, inside the procedure,  1) I added the declaration of a table, 2) I populated the table, and 3) I returned a value from the table.  The text that I added looked something like this:

Declare @t table(col1 int);

insert into @t (col1) Select 1   -- This stored a single row into the table, with a value of "1".

Select * from @t

end

Then, inside Qlik I loaded the table that was returned by the procedure (a single row with a value of 1) into a Qlik table, and then dropped the Qlik table.  The syntax was something like this:

Load1:
Load *;
SQL EXEC ...;
drop Table Load1;