cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
epar5lcd
Contributor III
Contributor III

Filter pane value list with calculated values from delimited dimension

I have a dimension with many delimited listed values, lets call them "Ingredients", for individual items. The same eight ingredients are randomly present for 30k items.

ItemIngredients
ASugar;
BMilk; Sugar;
CEgg; Water;
DFlour; Milk;  Water; 
ESalt; Sugar; Yeast;
FMolasses;

Using [Ingredients] as a dimension in the filter pane results in 96 filter choices. I would like to create a filter pane where the user can only select the 8 possible available ingredients.

Selecting 'Sugar' in the filter pane should return Items A, B and E in above example.

Selecting 'Sugar' AND 'Milk' returns A, B, D and E. 

Using nested WildMatch does not yield the expected results but got me closest to my goal:

=IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Egg*'),'Egg',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Flour*'),'Flour',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Milk*'),'Milk',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Molasses*'),'Molasses',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Salt*'),'Salt',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Sugar*'),'Sugar',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Water*'),'Water',
IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Yeast*'),'Yeast'))))))))

Above function in the filter pane appears to only selects Item A if 'Sugar' is chosen, and selects Items A and B if 'Sugar' and 'Milk' are chosen. The undesired calculations are resulting from the order of operations in the IF statement. Applying a filter on 'Egg' will include all items that have eggs plus anything else. This is the desired behavior. Applying a filter on on 'Flour' only executes if 'Egg' is false so items with eggs are excluded. This is the undesired behavior. Removing the condition =IF(WildMatch([Ingredients],'*Egg*'),'Egg', allows 'Flour' to calculate as desired but then you can no longer pick 'Egg' in the same filter pane. I would like to avoid creating 8 different filter panes.

I was hoping that using Pick() would result in the desired behavior. It doesn't but the code is cleaner:

=Pick(WildMatch(
[Ingredients],'*Egg*', '*Flour*', '*Milk*', '*Molasses*', '*Salt*','*Sugar*', '*Water*', '*Yeast*')+1,
'Unknown', 'Egg', 'Flour', 'Milk', 'Molasses', 'Salt', 'Sugar', 'Water', 'Yeast')

Any help to get the filter pane to yield the correct results would be greatly appreciated. I have tried various other combinations of ValueList() and Aggr() but making a selection is doesn't actually filter any data or the function doesn't appear to be supported by a filter pane.

A different approach I am exploring is using SubField() in the load editor. It may be necessary to create a secondary table and LOAD DISTINCT to unpack the data. Not quite sure how to do this though.

Thanks!

Sample data attached.

6 Replies
Cameron-R
Contributor II
Contributor II

Did you ever find the solution to this?

TauseefKhan
Creator III
Creator III

Hi @Cameron-R,

Check with this:

// Normalize the Ingredients field
IngredientsNormalized:
LOAD
    Item,
    Trim(SubField(Ingredients, ';')) AS Ingredient
Resident YourOriginalTable;

**********Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.******** 

Cameron-R
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks for your response @TauseefKhan . Your solution worked to separate the delimited values in the filter pane, but I'm only able to filter by one field value successfully at a time. Is there a way to filter by all that apply within the filter pane?

TauseefKhan
Creator III
Creator III

Apply the above logic in scripting.
Is this not allowing you to select other field value at same time in filter?

MeehyeOh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi, @Cameron-R 

Try this.

The test was with the sample data described in the post.

I used "|" instead of ";" as a delimite.

1. Load script

Test:
Load * Inline [
Item, Total_Ingredient
A, Sugar|
B, Milk| Sugar|
C, Egg| Water|
D, Flour| Milk|  Water| 
E, Salt| Sugar| Yeast|
F, Molasses| ];

Ingredient:
Load
Total_Ingredient,
    Trim(SubField(Left(Total_Ingredient,Len(Total_Ingredient)-1), '|')) AS Ingredient
Resident Test;

2. visualization

MeehyeOh_0-1717118349481.png

1) Selecting 'Sugar'

MeehyeOh_2-1717118528052.png

2) Selecting 'Sugar' AND 'Milk' 

MeehyeOh_3-1717118549100.png

Cameron-R
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks, @MeehyeOh . This solution works for my application as well.