Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Generate a calculated column with serial numbers for a straight table

I have a straight table containing 600 Rows of data. These 600 rows are divided in 3 groups based on a date. So each set of 200 rows of data pertain to a particular date (which is also one of the columns in the dataset). These rows are jumbled and not sorted based on date.

I am trying to generate a calculated column (field) that contains serial numbers for each of the set of 200 rows. So 1 to 200 for one set belonging to a particular date, then again 1 to 200 for the next set and so on.

However, I want this as a calculated column and not a measure. 

Please help!

Labels (3)
6 Replies
Vaibhav_Pathak
Contributor II
Contributor II

Use RowNo() function in Load script to get serial number(1 to 600) for all the records.

saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks @Vaibhav_Pathak for your reply.

I have modified my question a bit. Will you be able to provide a solution to the updated question?

Thanks for your help! 

saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Also, is there a way to do this via Data Manager? I see my load script is locked. 

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can generate the serial numbers on the script with:

AutoNumber(RecNo(), DateField) as Serial

-Rob

saurabh_Qlik1
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks @rwunderlich for your response. Is it possible to achieve this via Data Manager?

I see functions like AutoNumber or RecNo cannot be applied using Data Manager.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Qlik made a design choice to exclude script only functions from the Data Manager calculated field dialog. I suppose because they cannot be calculated in the preview window. 

-Rob