cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonashertz
Contributor III
Contributor III

Keep user selections after reload?

In Qlik Sense Cloud I want the users to be able to continue their (timed out) sessions after reload but when users open the report in the morning after a reload all their selections are gone.

Keeping the users selections from one day to the next is a very very basic functionality that seems to be lacking? Are there any workarounds?

I have found this article that explains it's not a bug but a "feature":

Data reload clears the selection history of user sessions to the app (qlik.com)

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

1) I think you might be misreading that article. Current selections will persist after a reload, unless the reload has made them impossible (for example, if the value selected no longer exists in the data). Selection history - the ability to use Back/Forward on selections and reference these in sets - does not persist.

2) As long as the session is alive, selections should persist, so your issue is actually the session timing out after the default 30 minutes. This can't be changed in Qlik Cloud, so I am guessing your only options are:

* Contact Qlik to try and get them to somehow exempt you from this default, though I wouldn't expect they'll do that

* Use some sort of approach (probably third-party or self-developed) to keep sessions alive by preventing them from timing out - something that will simulate an action every 29 minutes, for example

* If there are certain selections that regularly need to be reused from day to day, consider using a bookmark for these selections (either a default bookmark or a regular one, as appropriate) or encoding them into dedicated objects (using set analysis)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

1) I think you might be misreading that article. Current selections will persist after a reload, unless the reload has made them impossible (for example, if the value selected no longer exists in the data). Selection history - the ability to use Back/Forward on selections and reference these in sets - does not persist.

2) As long as the session is alive, selections should persist, so your issue is actually the session timing out after the default 30 minutes. This can't be changed in Qlik Cloud, so I am guessing your only options are:

* Contact Qlik to try and get them to somehow exempt you from this default, though I wouldn't expect they'll do that

* Use some sort of approach (probably third-party or self-developed) to keep sessions alive by preventing them from timing out - something that will simulate an action every 29 minutes, for example

* If there are certain selections that regularly need to be reused from day to day, consider using a bookmark for these selections (either a default bookmark or a regular one, as appropriate) or encoding them into dedicated objects (using set analysis)

jonashertz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for your quick reply. I made a test app and sure the selections do persist after a reload if the session is active.

But what will be the behavior for inactive sessions?

- They are never saved no matter if we reload or not? 
- Or the sessions are saved after 30 min BUT if we reload timed out sessions will be cleared?

Edit: Use case is the users would like their current selections to persist whenever they return to the app. For practical purposes a session reset after a week of inactivity would surely be ok. But the users want to be able to pick up their analysis where they left it without the need to remember to create a bookmark.

Or
MVP
MVP

As far as I know (as an Enterprise user) selections are not saved when a session times out and there is no way to modify this behavior, but I'm not an expert on the matter so it may be worth your while to confirm this with Qlik support or your local Qlik partner/reseller. With Enterprise, this is moot because we can increase the timeout to several days, but with Cloud you don't have that option.

Something I have not tested is whether the sessions will time out or not if the app is reloaded frequently (more than every 30 minutes, of course) - does Qlik count that as session activity or not? You can test that on your end but you'll need to either manually reload the app or set up an API reload, I believe, since Cloud doesn't let you load more often than once per hour via QMC.

jonashertz
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Or. I have tested when current selections are kept in Cloud and this is what I have found:

- Open app after timeout (>30 min) selections remain.
- Reload app before timeout (<30 min) selections remain.

- Reload app after timeout (>30 min) selections are cleared.

Maybe one solution could be to reinitiate all timed out sessions before reload of the application if that is even possible?