Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emil_bros
Contributor III
Contributor III

Loading multiple excel files from One Drive location

Hi Colleagues,

I have a strange issue with loading multiple excel files using One Drive connection (local one drive folder). All files have same format and layout but different names. 

My script:

for each File in ('lib://OneDrive_location/*.xlsm')

VB23:
LOAD
2023 as Year,
Country,
Value
from $(File) (ooxml, embedded labels, header is 15 lines, table is VB2023)
next File
;

as a result I get error message that Country field can't be found - don't know what can be the reason as in my understanding script looks fine and should work.

Thank you in advance,

Emil

Labels (1)
8 Replies
Sra1bandi
Contributor III
Contributor III

Check in the excel file whether the country name is same as in Qlik script or not?

Emil_bros
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

yes, I've checked that. It's not the problem with field names for sure - I have tried to load other fields in first place but with same result - always first loaded field had an error message 

Sra1bandi
Contributor III
Contributor III

If you have all the old files also please check the country name with upper and lower cases  in all the files  

because i am faced same issue 

in one of the file the name is changed when i am renamed then it is worked fine

Emil_bros
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

fair point and thank you however it's not the case - I have checked naming. I have also tried to load each file separately and it works this way so names and formats are identical in all the files.

Sra1bandi
Contributor III
Contributor III

Other wise check with the sheet names which are present in Excel file 

may be sheet name mismatch also it will possible to get the similar error 

Emil_bros
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

again, that's not the case - I have loaded all files separately using same script and all was fine

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

You can load all xlsm files without looping

Load * 

FROM 'lib://OneDrive_location/*.xlsm'

(ooxml, embedded labels, header is 15 lines, table is VB2023);

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
marcus_sommer

You are loading the files completely with a wildcard which means each file with *.xlsm will be taken - if there are different ones or maybe also temporary files starting with a ~ or similar (depending on your system-settings you may not even see them). Therefore specifying a filename-pattern like: Sales*_??????_*.xlsm might avoid the access on wrong files.

Beside the already mentioned suggestion to check if always an appropriate sheet and all listed field-names are there and also correctly spelled you may run into an issue with the specified header-lines. If an excel-row is completely empty and not involved in any function, naming, formatting or similar stuff this row will be skipped in regard to the counting - means in some files may the header lines lower than 15.

Another issue happens if there are fields multiple times included because these field-names becomes counted and get a suffix like Country_1, Country_2 and then the load won't see a field Country anymore and run into an error.

It's quite hard to detect all these possibilities manually especially by a lot of files but you could track where the error happens, for example with something like:

for each File in ('lib://OneDrive_location/*.xlsm')

trace $(File);

VB23:
LOAD
2023 as Year,
Country,
Value
from $(File) (ooxml, embedded labels, header is 15 lines, table is VB2023)
next File
;

within the progress window and within the document-log you could now see which files were successfully loaded and where it breaks. The failing file could you then grab with the table-wizard which will then show what's really there.

- Marcus